Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

CarlC   Fairy Frog Mother   CarlC   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

CarlC
View Profile

Boa loose skin

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a BCI from local reptile store. I was told it was a male of 2 years old. It was very tame to handle and looked healthy. I measured at 4ft 4in and weighs exactly 3pounds. I have had him several weeks now and has eaten well and shed well too. But I have noticed with more handling that he has lots of loose skin underneath. There was large water bowl in viv in store so don’t think it’s dehydration but I think he hasn’t been fed enough recently at store as I think he should have much more solid girth. They said he has been feeding on 1 medium rat every 14 days, but the medium rats they gave me (225g) are only 2/3 of his body size. I am thinking of upping his feeds to 1 large rat (300g) just over width of body every 10 days and hoping that the extra protein and nutrients will spur lean muscle growth and maybe a little needed fat so that he fits tighter into his skin. Does anyone agree, and any other opinions welcome, thanks.

09/27/12  08:28pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: CarlC   In reference to Message Id: 2281542

Boa loose skin

If he is 4’4 inches he should be able to handle a large rat- go for a prey item that is about the same size around as the snakes girth. Every 14 days for a 2 year old is a little farther apart- I fed mine every 10 days at that age. Though to be honest, a leaner snake is better than one that is obese, health wise.

At two, they are kinda in their teenage phase. This is when they begin that incredible growth spurt...so a large rat every two weeks should be fine. I wouldnt up it too much or feed too often.

Check the humidity in its tank also to be sure its right. Dehydration isnt just from not drinkin enough, but from living in too dry of an environment. (careful not to go TOO wet or youll have issues with fungal infections of the skin)- a nice 55% humidity- bumped up to 65 when they are in shed is about right.

Mine are now 9 and 8.5 feet long (female/male) and usually eat an extra jumbo every two weeks. Lately theyve been getting two large or extra larges as the store I go to hasnt been able to get in Jumbo or extra jumbos- but mine are still quite large.

10/01/12  04:28pm

CarlC
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2281818

Boa loose skin

Cool thanks, I will go for 1 large rat every 10 days and when he fills out a bit will cut back to every 14 days. My temp and humidity have been perfect from the start but maybe they weren’t before I got him. Would be nice to see him grow some more over the next year.

10/03/12  12:26pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: CarlC   In reference to Message Id: 2281985

Boa loose skin

FFM is absolutely right ...I received my first boa from a girl that was feeding smalls and mediums (which I sold her) when she was forced to give the snake up...I took it in and it was exactly four feet. Within 2 feedings I realized that medium rats were just too small and switched to large ...she went through a tremendous growth stage and now sits easily at 7’6’ ...2 years later she is slowing down.

I am elated to have her to say the least.

10/05/12  06:24am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2282176

Boa loose skin

Remember when I had that baby corn snake that wouldnt eat CP? Took her nearly 3 months to eat her second meal! a month for the first meal...I was so sure she wasnt gonna make it- and now...shes the most gregarious, healthy snake that never misses a meal. (wont touch frozen thawed meals unfortunately)- and Miiha is currently on my FB profile. *chuckles* Sometimes snakes are just nervous or picky eaters too.
Im pretty good at getting picky eaters to eat usually, of many species. *chuckles* Its all about finding what works for them and not being too in their face about it.

10/12/12  05:58am

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area