Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Zhimonster   SugarFox03   Zhimonster   Fairy Frog Mother   Fairy Frog Mother   Bayouboas   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Zhimonster
View Profile

Keeping Boas together?

I know its generally better to keep BPs solitary, and thats what Im more familiar with. Would it be acceptable to keep a young columbian and a young central american boa together? We have a 55 gal tank for them, extra hides, two undertank heaters and so forth.

We both want to get females, would two males get a long better though, or does it matter?

08/23/12  08:12pm

SugarFox03
View Profile

Message To: Zhimonster   In reference to Message Id: 2277675

Keeping Boas together?

It’s not generally a good idea to keep snakes together as they may compete for resources (food, warm spot, etc...) If you cannot afford a separate enclosure, put up a barrier (acrylic or plexi works well and is easy to install) in the middle of the tank, with the heat mat set in the middle.

You will get varied responses here, so take them with a grain of salt.

08/23/12  11:26pm

Zhimonster
View Profile

Message To: SugarFox03   In reference to Message Id: 2277704

Keeping Boas together?

Yeah, I got some pretty varied responses when I looked it up online, some said NO NEVER some said, ’sure it’s fine’ so Im just looking for additional opinions. I thought about the barrier idea, might work nicely at least while they are small. By the time they are bigger Im sure we can manage another good sized tank. Space is also a bit of an issue. I have a large handmade enclosure that could house a good sized snake.. (its roughly 100-120 gal size) But it takes up a lot of room, and takes a bit more work to maintain.

08/24/12  10:02am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Zhimonster   In reference to Message Id: 2277733

Keeping Boas together?

If it takes up too much room, get one snake. And, a 55 gallon enclosure is NOT going to be large enough for one, let alone TWO adult boas. Period. It will keep one boa til they are about 1 1/2 years old generally, by which time they will need a much larger tank...especially larger females!

I advise strongly against housing two boas together. I used to think it was fine until one of mine tried to eat the other after feeding in separate enclosures. I was right there watching them and he just opened his mouth and went for her head...I stopped him in the nick of time and put him in the feeding tank until I got a new tank the next day.

Plus you wont be able to tell if one of them regurges which one is sick, they will share any parasites, you will have to clean the tank twice as often to keep the bacterial load down...

If you think it is going to save you space and money...the extra vet bills you might incur make it not totally not worth it.

09/07/12  06:37am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Zhimonster   In reference to Message Id: 2277733

Keeping Boas together?

Also, glass tanks with screen tops are really a pain in the arse to keep heat and humidity correct in.

Good on you for doing research BEFORE you get the animals!! My boas tanks are a 4X2X2 for the male and a 6X3X2 for the female. This is JUST enough space for them to move about ( my female is 9 feet and around 35 lbs or so, the male is 8.5 and around 30 Id guess)- Unless you are getting a Hog or other smaller species, space is a necessity for these gentle giants.

09/07/12  06:41am

Bayouboas
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2279243

Keeping Boas together?

My wife and I have kept, raised and bred boa constrictors for years and have housed them together without problems except feedings when they should be fed singularly. The space required general rule of thumb is to have a tank with enough floor space for the boa to crawl around the inside of the tank without head touching/overlaping tail. A 55 gallon glass tank or 40 gallon glass terrariums are perfect for most large boas 9’ or under as long as there is a heat pad under one end, sufficient bowl of water for humidity they will flourish. If the width of the tank is 3’ and 18" deep the inside measurement is 3’+3+1.5’+1.5’ or 9’ so the length of the boa kept in it should be 9’ or less. Boas usually will only crawl into a water bowl or try to if they have reptile mites. A small overhead light to simulate daylight if needed is also great. We are assuming that they will be taken out and handled on a regular basis except on feeding days. This gives them the bit of extra exercise they need and usually keeps them well socialized. For larger mostly females and breeding we use the 4’ neodesha glass front tanks.

09/20/12  01:53pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Bayouboas   In reference to Message Id: 2280887

Keeping Boas together?

Bayou, with all due respect...there are a couple of things that I have experienced differently.

I used to believe you could house boas together safely. Its what I grew up with. The male I have now tried to eat the female after they were both fed in a separate enclosure. So no, its not always fine.

a 40 gallon tank was WAY too small for my 6 foot male when he started putting on girth. He could have easily pushed a screen top out with his strength. And Ive always read that you measure only the floor space of a tank- so for an 8 foot snake you need at least a 4X2 floor plan. Thats what I came across from the research I did when I first joined up here, and talked to a lot of the breeders that were on here. Boas dont climb much once they reach 3 or so years old- so the height of the tank really doesnt matter a whole lot. Thats what Ive been told anyhow. For my female I have a 6X3X2’ tank with an 18X2 foot shelf on it. She loves that shelf in cooler weather. The male I have has a 4X2X2 and its just big enough for him ( he is just over 8 feet- approaching 8.5. hes a big boy)

And the part about not going into a bowl without having mites is wrong. My pair have NEVER had a single mite issue. They LOVE to soak around a week before they shed. Mind you, they only spend an hour or two soaking, then go to their favorite place to be- but not one mite. Ive read of other boas that prefer to soak just before they take a dump in it every time they take one (My female is prone to this- but the male is more prone to soaking), so I know mine arent freaks of nature. They dont do this often- perhaps once every two or three months. I live in an area that is less Humid, so perhaps that is a factor if you live somewhere very humid.

Of course different people have different experiences. I think MOST boas would be ok co-housed...but as someone who has had to do the tank scramble when the male literally opened his mouth and was going to eat my female...Im a lot more cautious now with my husbandry.

10/01/12  04:47pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area