Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jdpython   Herps4me   Jdpython   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Jdpython
View Profile

Help

my boa is acting really sluggish and refused to eat. i just noticed this evening that his skin around his tail is turning colors and he smells like decay. i was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them. i dont know what to do or even if there is anything for me to do. i dont know if it is parasites or if a rat i fed him a few weeks ago was bad. please help.

06/18/12  09:14pm

Herps4me
View Profile

Message To: Jdpython   In reference to Message Id: 2270460

Help

How is he doing? I think the only thing you can do now is take him to a herp vet immediately. No time to waste!

Good luck!!

-Wil

06/20/12  02:21pm

Jdpython
View Profile

Message To: Herps4me   In reference to Message Id: 2270650

Help

im sorry to say that he has passed. i dont know what was wrong. he was fine through the weekend and monday i checked on him and he was really out of it. i noticed the tail looked bruised. i couldnt get him to an exotic vet that night and tuesday my wife called and said he wasnt moving. he ate a week and a half ago and was defecating fine he had just shed two weeks ago.the cage was clean and the temp was fine. he did have mites and i bathed him and cleaned the cage trying to get rid of them. unless it was a parasite he got from the rat i got from petco. im clueless.

06/21/12  07:45pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jdpython   In reference to Message Id: 2270803

Help

If the snake has had mites a long time, Mites can cause serious anemia over time.
Did you use any pesticides to kill the mites? It sounds as if it could have been a fungal, or some other kind of infection. Snakes often dont show they are ill until they are really really sick- so a vet is always recommended at the first sign of illness. SO many things in your post sound like they needed caring for sooner rather than a "wait and see" approach.

06/25/12  01:37pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area