Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ian F   Snakeman14   Herps4me   Fairy Frog Mother   Ian F   Cphill58   Fairy Frog Mother   Ian F   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Ian F
View Profile

Feeding an adult boa

when my female boa grows up do i have to feed her rabits if i want to breed her?

06/03/12  07:16pm

Snakeman14
View Profile

Message To: Ian F   In reference to Message Id: 2268685

Feeding an adult boa

you could get ultimate rats at bigappleherp.com u get 2 for 7.99

06/03/12  09:42pm

Herps4me
View Profile

Message To: Snakeman14   In reference to Message Id: 2268707

Feeding an adult boa

No you don’t. I feed mine multiple large rats each feeding to get to the prey weight I want. I only go up to large rats to minimize the fat content. Find a local breeder near you, this way you can always get the sizes you need for super cheap.

06/13/12  01:17pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Herps4me   In reference to Message Id: 2269875

Feeding an adult boa

I do not recommend just breeding a pet boa you got at any pet food store.
I recommend doing some serious research before breeding- a lot of people are becoming backyard breeders of animals- because babies are just so gosh darn cute! or we think we can make a buck at it-

But remember
There are MANY professional breeders out there who have traced the locality or bred for certain colour traits- and have generations of liniage recorded. These folks are finding selling off all of the offspring they breed at an all time low for sales...there is a glut of snakes on the "Market"- Will you be able to find homes from them all...and even if you do, will the cost of supplies, feeder mice to make sure every baby is eating BEFORE you sell them or give them away...theres A LOT to think about when doing this- which is why I have 2 4 1/2 year old het for albino boas that have not been bred yet.

06/25/12  01:54pm

Ian F
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2271172

Feeding an adult boa

@airyfrogmother thanks for the concern but I have researched boas for a year before my purchase. And I bought her at an expo

06/27/12  02:10pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Ian F   In reference to Message Id: 2271371

Feeding an adult boa

Here in Utah and Idaho (2 -3 hrs away) There are tons of rabbit breeders. i feed my retic and my rtb rabbits...They are 1.50 per lb from one farmer so a 3 lb rabbit is 4.50 I also buy all his frozen premature die offs ...heat waves/ bad moms that don’t nurse / stillborn..... My bull snakes and kings eat them as large as a medium rat.

I also raise rabbits / rats / mice but in between months of raising rabbits the snakes gotta eat something....3 large rats might be the same as a 2 lb rabbit.

Often people are giving away the extra male rabbits , they will fight for breeding rights,
Online KSL / Craigslist. Or just looking for a good home for them. Same with kittens .....lol

it’s not the funnest thing in the world to do...you get attached to the cute bunnies.

06/29/12  02:15am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2271591

Feeding an adult boa

Good to know you’ve done research Ian. So many dont- and the lives of the snakes in their care is often filled with neglect and abuse. Over the years, Ive seen way too much of it so I speak out, and encourage others to think before over breeding their pets. Even some of the big names in boas cooled their pairs for a couple of years, there were so many boas on the market.
THANK YOU for looking into it first!

06/30/12  11:43am

Ian F
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2271726

Feeding an adult boa

Your welcome and thanks for the nice comment!

06/30/12  01:49pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Ian F   In reference to Message Id: 2271730

Feeding an adult boa

Im not always snarky. *shifty eyes* Shh, dont tell anyone though.

08/07/12  07:06pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area