Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Petro_Genetics   Chameleon_man   Mschip   Petro_Genetics   Cphill58   Herps4me   Petro_Genetics   Cphill58   Chameleon_man   T-pain   Cphill58   Snakey Dave   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Petro_Genetics
View Profile

Help! Shed!

I just purchased a baby boa at Repticon in December. I currently own two other boa constrictors and neither of the boas had a shed problem. my new baby boa has shed for me three or four times already but still has not been able to shed under her mouth. The temperature and humidity levels in her cage are all right where they are supposed to be, so i don’t think that’s the problem. I tried putting her in a soaking wet pillow case and later massaged her with a warm wet cloth to help her with the shed under her mouth but it still wont come off. If anyone can please help me with this problem it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cory.

02/21/12  10:49pm

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Petro_Genetics   In reference to Message Id: 2256349

Help! Shed!

I would try baths. and up the humidity.

02/22/12  11:41am

Mschip
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2256392

Help! Shed!

are you sure its unshed skin? My dumerils has a patch of different coloured scales under her chin and has been like that for 3 years now since the day I got her, kinda odd but shes super healthy and always sheds in one piece

02/22/12  05:58pm

Petro_Genetics
View Profile

Message To: Mschip   In reference to Message Id: 2256459

Help! Shed!

I’m positive that its unshed skin, because a small piece is hanging off the bottom of her mouth. I have gave her tons of baths with no success. It just seems no matter how many times I give her a bath or massage her with a warm cloth the skin wont come off.

02/22/12  11:23pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Petro_Genetics   In reference to Message Id: 2256506

Help! Shed!

And you never tried to pull off the easily identified skin ...shed skin is almost transparent and very thin ...easily removed by hand if hanging off. Water and gentle massaging by hand or even an old tooth brush should remove it.....some olive oil might help as well...just a Q-tips worth.

I have assisted many of my snakes , large and small , with their sheds usually I only need a few minutes with water in a bath.

02/23/12  12:09am

Herps4me
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2256517

Help! Shed!

I agree with Chris. Gently grab the loose hanging skin and slowly pull toward the tail end. I would give the little one a soak first. And if it’s a super small one, then get a firm hold on it’s head and help it along. Give it a go and let us know how it went. If you want to really make sure it is stuck shed, then take a good photo and post it on here.

-Wil

02/23/12  01:21am

Petro_Genetics
View Profile

Message To: Herps4me   In reference to Message Id: 2256524

Help! Shed!

Thats just the thing, the shed is hanging from the jaw to the tip of its mouth. If im not mistaking i cant just pull the shed off because when a snake sheds he sheds from mouth to tail not tail to mouth. meaning if i pulled on her shed it will go against the way it original sheds and hurt the snake. ill post a picture for you guys to see what im talking about

02/23/12  03:48pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Petro_Genetics   In reference to Message Id: 2256580

Help! Shed!

Yes ...you can , manually pull the skin in any direction to facilitate removal... It doesn’t matter which direction you do it ....the snake by instinct naturally moves forward ...breaking the skin at the lips and jaw first which allow the skin to peel backwards. But I have removed skin from any area that requires it.

02/24/12  08:48am

Chameleon_man
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2256691

Help! Shed!

somebody actually showed me how to shed a whole snake. after they get the head done just take it and rub down. idk why she did it but she shed the whole snake. lol

02/24/12  08:57am

T-pain
View Profile

Message To: Chameleon_man   In reference to Message Id: 2256693

Help! Shed!

Ay y’all my Kenyan ate a small piece of aspen shud I worry

03/27/12  07:45pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: T-pain   In reference to Message Id: 2260373

Help! Shed!

T ,

No ...usually they will pass it ...lucky I stumbled on this question, better to always start your own topic so others can address it directly.

Just keeps temps nice and warm as usual and I have to ask ...was it during the feeding time or what?

03/28/12  12:47am

Snakey Dave
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2260426

Help! Shed!

I too have this exact same issue. Never had a bad shed before with snakes and I picked up this young 2ft boa and she went into shed a week later. The skin wrinkled like crazy for several days but she didn’t shed. When I saw that it was beginning to come off in bits I gave her several good soaks and eased the shed off. She is all done now except for her head from the neck up. Why hasn’t she rubbed her nose to break the seal? I have given her several more soaks but it’s not budging. I have just put her into a damp pillowcase to see if that does the trick. Any pulling from the loose end would be ’against the grain’ and I worry about damaging her scales.

02/19/14  10:49am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Snakey Dave   In reference to Message Id: 2303716

Help! Shed!

You want to make sure she sheds her eye caps and head... the pillow case offers continual moisture and a rough rubbing surface. If that doesn’t work as soon as you would like, don’t hesitate to purchase some shed ease...or use some vegetable oil or olive oil from the kitchen cabinet. Apply liberally over any skin that you are worried about. Use your fingers or soft cloth / paper towel etc. After you are done applying put the snake back in the pillow case. Make sure the pillow case stays moist every day ...spritz / spray with hot water ...by the time the water flows through the air and onto the pillow case it will be room temp or luke warm and not hurt anything.
You can also place a damp towel (90 F ) in the enclosure to bring up humidity at all times...once it gets to the temp of the enclosure it can be moistened again and again...with like temperature water. Just pour on the towel.

Increase the size of the water bowl so when it evaporates the humidity is increased. If the top of the enclosure is open mesh screen cover 50-75% of it with a towel...moisten if you desire.

If you provide a heat lamp from above try using a heating pad from below instead, or taped to the side with a styrofoam layer just slightly larger than the heat pad ...so the tape sticks to the styrofoam and enclosure ...but not the heat pad directly. Free styrofoam from many stores like Hallmark/ Michaels Arron Bros and more ...just ask them for some trash styrofoam 1/4" - 1/2" thick. Thus you eliminate the drying effects of the heat lamp.

Best regards...

02/22/14  06:57pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area