Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Naz420   Bazzer   Jon whittington   Fairy Frog Mother  

Member  Message

Naz420
View Profile

Max growth?

I want max size and growth. How often can i feed? Now i feed 1 jumbo rat every 2 weeks and it seems like a small meal for him. It doesnt even look like he has eatin when he is done( no lump ). Should i start feeding 2 rats or rabbits or just keep it the same? He is 5.5 years old and almost 7 feet long.

12/16/11  08:45pm

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Naz420   In reference to Message Id: 2247448

Max growth?

7 feet long is big for a male. Why would you want max size and growth? Males are healthier when leaner, and don’t need to be pounded with food. My largest male is 5.5ft long and eats nothing more than a medium sized rat every 2-3 weeks. The only time i up his food is just before the breeding season when he’ll eat one medium rat a week until i let him digest everything before cooling

12/17/11  02:57pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Naz420   In reference to Message Id: 2247448

Max growth?

Hey There,

Mine is 17 months old and is six and a half foot.She is big for her age.She eats Jumbo Rats.Next time I feed her and her sister Iam going to feed them rabbits.There are jumbo rats and there are jumbo rats.I have bought them 5 in a bag and also 2 in a bag.If you buy them where there is 2 in a bag you might not need to feed them rabbits unless you got a lot in the freezer and want to get rid of them. I might be wrong but doesn’t the growth slow down a lot when they hit 4 years old?

Jon Whittington

12/19/11  11:53am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2247704

Max growth?

Growth slows down a lot after age 3 to 3.5. As was pointed out by others, over feeding for "Maximum growth" does the same thing in snakes that over eating does in humans. Heart Disease, weakened immune system, liver and other organ failure... It cuts short their life. Period. You wouldnt purposely do it to yourself, or your kids. Why for goodness sake are you going to do it to your pet!!! Put them in a clean, well cared for enclosure with plenty of room to stretch out, hides, proper humidity and a regular healthy feeding schedule and your snake WILL grow to its full potential in a slow and safe manner. Overfed boas live only 5-8 years on average instead of 25-30. My snakes are plenty big enough without having to gorge them on food. They as adults get one Extra Jumbo rat every two weeks. They are beautiful, full bodied animals. My female is at about 8 to 8.5 feet now, and the male is just over 7 feet as full grown adults at 4 years old. Neither is underweight nor underfed. They both have enclosures big enough for them to move about in. Please, dont be cruel to your pet by making it a fat tube of snake skin.

12/23/11  08:10am

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area