Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jon whittington   Fire Fox   Fairy Frog Mother   Jon whittington   Fairy Frog Mother   Jon whittington   Fairy Frog Mother   Jon whittington  

Member  Message

Jon whittington
View Profile

Babies on the way

Hey there guys and gals.

Yes I will have babies pretty soon and I have a question for everyone.I don’t have any tubs or a setup and there are about 20 or so babies on the way.Can somebody please give me some ideas? Thanks

Jon Whittington

11/29/11  12:44pm

Fire Fox
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2245642

Babies on the way

Your best bet at the moment might be to get those plastic shoe boxes. They cost $1 each and can be stacked (just make sure to drill ventilation holes and secure the lids). They are what I used for my Corn Snakes when they were babies. My only concern would be the size difference between a baby Boa and a Corn (it might be pretty small for the boa). I’m sure someone with experience can help you more than with this. Anyway, just my opinion.

11/29/11  01:11pm

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Fire Fox   In reference to Message Id: 2245645

Babies on the way

You also need to have heat, and water dishes, and hides for each of them- and how do you know it is going to be about 20? Boas can have between a dozen and 60 babies. When is your snake due? And...you didnt research this BEFORE you bred your snake? I dont have all this set up even with snakes with good genetics that I COULD breed and make some money off of...because it will cost me more for the set ups than it is worth.

12/02/11  06:21am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2245888

Babies on the way

Hey There,

I picked up 4 units for babies.The first 2 units have 42 4 quart tubs with heat.Each unit is 7 high and 3 wide.Those cost me250.00 The other 2 units have 12 15 quart tubs also with heat which cost me 100.00 Does anyone know if I paid to much for this stuff?The total was 350.00

Jon Whittington

01/02/12  09:42am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2249353

Babies on the way

Thats actually a really good deal. Bravo for you! NOW before those babies are born, test them- get them set up and ready ahead of time so you dont cook the whole litter- or freeze them. Better to know NOW if you have to fix something than when your snake starts birthing in the middle of the night and no place is open and you have dozens of squirmy cold and dying babies from hypothermia! *chuckles* Best of luck to you and your snake.

01/11/12  09:53am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2250580

Babies on the way

Fairy Frog Mother,

I have never had a tub setup before so I hope I use them correctly.Heat Tape vrs Heat Cable?What is the difference in the way to use it.I believe I have Heat cable on the larger tub setups and heat tape on the smaller setups.Now on the tub setup where do I put the probe at?I was told to put it an inch away .what do you think?How hot does the heat tape get?Sorry about the questions but this is foreign to me.

Jon Whittington

01/12/12  07:37am

Fairy Frog Mother
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2250718

Babies on the way

Ive done lots of research on breeding, as I was planning on breeding mine- but have not done so. My folks bred our snakes in the early 70s twice successfully. I dare say, your question would be better asked of someone like Bazzer or Amie who have more answers through experience rather than reading.

Unless I have a superfluous number of people willing to rehome or buy an entire litter, I wont breed mine. I think it would be very irresponsible of me as I dont want 30 snakes in my home. the 4 of mine and 2 guests I have as boarders are quite enough. I only have about 6 people in my area wanting to adopt, and none of them wanting to purchase, but to get a "free" snake- so yeah. Not this year.

01/18/12  09:35am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Fairy Frog Mother   In reference to Message Id: 2251466

Babies on the way

Fairy Frog Mother,

I bought a bluefield from Amie.Everytime I look at it I start to get goose bumps and drool cause its so beautiful.Depending on the snake and what it looks like I would buy one.Iam not a cheapscape but I am on a limited income.If I see something I like I would pay for it if I could.Even if I had to make payments.

Jon Whittington

01/18/12  03:33pm

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area