Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Boa Constrictors Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jon whittington   Bciaddict   Jon whittington   Bciaddict   Jon whittington   Bciaddict   Jon whittington   Bciaddict   Jon whittington   Bciaddict   Bazzer   Jon whittington  

Member  Message

Jon whittington
View Profile

Hypo Motley HET Albino

I would like to breed her next year.I am not to sure what to breed her to.I was thinking about a Albino or a Sunglow.Does anyone have any ideas?

Jon Whittington

11/07/11  02:28am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2243343

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Jon,

What would you like as an end result?

Amie

11/08/11  01:45pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2243526

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Amie,

I understand that when you have Albinos or Sunglows that there is a weaker strain and a stronger strain when the babies come out.Can you enlighten me on this?

Jon Whittington

11/12/11  12:17am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2243913

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Jon,

Really weak strain and stronger strains has to do with how much inbreeding is in the lineage. You can breed albino sibling sand have perfectly normal albino litters. Continual inbreeding seems to bring out bad genetic traits such as bug eyes, missing eyes, kinked tails. Many stay away from albino x albino breedings to lessen the chance of this but it can happen in het x het litters too.

If you think about albinos are inbreed to some degree no matter what...Pete Kahl started with one albino and bred the sibs back to the parent. So did Brian Sharp. Right from the beginning they’ve been inbred.

Amie

11/13/11  10:55am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2243526

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Amie,

The end result would be a group of Blood Sunglow Motley,or Blood Albino Motley.Is this possible?

Jon Whittington

11/14/11  01:13am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2244149

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Jon,

Well, not likely unless she’s a het for blood and the male would have to be het also. If she’s not and you bred her to a blood (het albino) the result would be:

hypos het blood and poss het albino
albinos het blood
sunglows het blood
motleys het blood and poss het albino
albino motleys het blood
sunglow motleys het blood
hypo motleys het blood poss het albino
and maybe a few normals het blood poss het albino

Then take a pair of those babies and breed those babies to each other...then you could possibly produce blood albino motleys or blood sunglow motleys...if you hit the odds on the possible het albinos actually being hets.

That would be the quickest (possibly the cheapest) way to produce what you’re looking for using that female.

Amie

11/14/11  06:49am

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2244175

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Amie,

I think Iam going to stick with something simple.I do have a question.If you can produce Albinos by putting two Hets together then why spend the money for an Albino to produce Albinos.The end result is to produce some Sunglows or Albinos.

Jon Whittington

11/17/11  03:17am

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2244502

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Jon,

It’s a matter of preference. Some people (myself included) don’t like messing around with possible hets. Having one parent that is an albino (or visible het to any recessive trait...aka homozygous) will make all babies produced by that parent regardless of what it’s bred to 100% hets.

Albino x Albino = all albinos

Albino x 100% het = albinos and normal 100% hets

100% het x 100% het = albinos and normals that only have a 66% chance of being het.

100% het x 66% het = might give you albinos, might not. If it does, than the 66% het parent is called a 100% het but the resulting babies are only 66% het. The breeding does not give you hets that the babies are either 50% het, or you just got unlucky and maybe the next breeding will yield albinos.

Amie

11/17/11  10:45pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2244602

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Amie,

Sorry I didn’t get all of that,sometimes my English is not that good.Let me ask in another way.If you had a few dollars to spend and the end result would be Sunglow and Albino Motley babies what would you do? Oh yeah it has to be done at the end of this year or next.

Jon Whittington

11/20/11  11:52pm

Bciaddict
View Profile

Message To: Jon whittington   In reference to Message Id: 2244873

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Jon,

My personally? I’m not a gambler, so I’d pair her up with a 100% het albino, or better yet a visual albino.

Amie

11/21/11  06:41am

Bazzer
View Profile

Message To: Bciaddict   In reference to Message Id: 2244896

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Quote:

I think Iam going to stick with something simple.I do have a question.If you can produce Albinos by putting two Hets together then why spend the money for an Albino to produce Albinos.The end result is to produce some Sunglows or Albinos.

if you put 2 x 100%het albinos together, you will have a litter of 25% normals, 50% being 100%hets and 25% visual albinos. You have to bear in mind that when selling the normal looking babies they’ll be sold as poss hets.

when using a 100% het, people generally opt to use a visual albino to guarantee that the normal looking babies are 100%het and the odds of producing visuals is greeatly increased (ie half visual and half 100% het)

what strain are you using?

11/21/11  05:05pm

Jon whittington
View Profile

Message To: Bazzer   In reference to Message Id: 2244954

Hypo Motley HET Albino

Bazzer,

I found out that she is a Hypo Possible Het For Albino and the parents are or were a Het breeding project.Iam all ears now and would like to produce some Albinos and Sunglows in the year of 2012 or early 2013. Should I use the Motley that I have or purchase 2 more motleys and also what type would you use? Also does anyone have anything that would produce these? and how much? Thanks for all your answers

Jon Whittington

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

11/24/11  12:36am

Back to Boa Constrictors Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area