Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

Baylor13   Baylor13   Kimforster   Kimforster  
 Member  Message

Baylor13
View Profile

New Cockatiel

Was at work today and an elderly lady came in to drop off her bird. She had him for over 10 years and decided she could not take care of him anymore. I have him home right now but have never had one before, I have looked at some care sheets and have some millet, cuddle bones and a fortified pellet diet for him to switch onto plus a small bag of his old food. The only thing I am worried about is him eating his poo. I have read that it could be out of boredom or from a lack of calcium. I have given him more toys and the a cuddle bone on each side of his cage for him to chew on. He also has not been handled in about two years so he is nippy. Any tips on calming him back down would help.

02/20/11  10:33pm

Baylor13
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2206101

New Cockatiel

This is the little monster. His name is Gizmo.

02/22/11  10:40pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: Baylor13   In reference to Message Id: 2206101

New Cockatiel

Hi

Gizmo looks exactly like my Cricket. This is how I feed mine:

A natural diet consists of a variety of:
sprouts
Herbs
Eucalyptus
fruit & Veg
flowers

Safe fruit & veggies:
Star fruit (seeded)
Capsicums, all colours (red is higher in vitamin A)
Snow peas or snap peas
Broccoli (broccoli leaves are very high in Vitamin A)
Cauliflower
Pumpkin & seeds (Japanese & butternut are the sweeter ones)
Pepitas
Carrot
Apple (sparingly)
Pears & seeds (different colours & varieties)
Citrus fruits such as mandarin, orange
Rind of lime, lemon or orange or squirt of these juices.
Bok choy, red lettuces
Guava
Kale
Grapes (sparingly)
Any nut (except peanuts) about once a month or as a treat
Ground nutmeg
Tomato
Celery (sparingly)
Zucchini
Paw paw & seeds
Pomegranates
Persimmons
Silver beet
Spinach (sparingly)
Asparagus
Beetroot

Cockatiels are a very hardy bird & do well on pellet diets. But don’t forget to offer a variety of other foods as well. Their natural diet in the wild consists of seed, sprouted foods & grasses, dried grasses, herbs etc. They’re not a natural fruit eater. Fruit is high in sugar & can cause over weight & health problems, it can however be offered as a small part of their diet weekly or monthly.

If your tiel is on a pelleted diet do not give him extra vit/min sups. Pellets always contain vit/min sups in them so your bird will already be getting enough. Keep a cuttle bone in his cage & a mineral block. They tend to not over indulge in them but will nibble at them if they need to. You can also grate some cuttle bone & mineral block into his bowl of food instead of hanging it in his cage.

Give him time to adjust properly. Male normal grey tiels do tend to be nippy at times. Allow him the time he needs to adjust to being in a new home. Don’t push him to do anything he is not ready for. Have lots of patients with him & offer treats (bribe him) but only if he show acceptable behaviour. They do love human interaction & can become clingy to one person as well.

02/22/11  11:14pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 2206435

New Cockatiel

http://eclectusparrots.net/cockatiels.html

02/22/11  11:15pm

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area