Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

Silverdoe100   Dalime   Silverdoe100   Dalime   Silverdoe100  
 Member  Message

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Which kind of bird..

I’m trying to decide which species of bird to get as my first birdie pet. Ive been researching different types of birds for about a year now, and i think i need some advice from bird owners. If I’m going to have this bird for the next 30, 60, or even more years I want to be SURE i choose the right kind for me. Im strongly leaning towards a quaker. I’d like a bird that has decent talking ability and can sing, learn tricks, etc. Im also in love with african greys, but I think they might be a bit too demanding for me. My question is, are they truly as demanding as having a three year old? Whichever kind I choose, I’ll be more than willing to put the time and effort into it so thats not the issue..I just dont know if I could handle something as smart as a grey. I love the little quakers, but I heard they are extremely loud and biters. Also, I am a huge music nut, so I would love a bird thats really into music and would love to come out and dance and sing with me. With the quakers, does anyone know if its true that the greens are better talkers than the blues? Ive read that but Im not sure I buy into it. Color really shouldnt affect talking ability right? I guess Id just like to hear the pros and cons of each from people with experience so I can make an educated decision. Thanks in advance everyone!

12/26/10  09:37am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Silverdoe100   In reference to Message Id: 2194476

Which kind of bird..

You should definitely get a male canary if you want singing! They are cute, lovable, and you can even train them!!! They are really easy to care for! all you have to do is: feed them bird seed, as a treat sometimes put in eggfeed with it, fruit (they love sprouts) and a few toys (preferably colorful) and have any sized cage and you’re good to go! They’re great! (I hope I didn’t just sound like the kellogs frosted flakes tiger)

12/26/10  10:37am

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2194488

Which kind of bird..

hahaha theyre grrrrrrreat!

12/26/10  11:03am

Dalime
View Profile

Message To: Silverdoe100   In reference to Message Id: 2194495

Which kind of bird..

hehe it kind of creeps me out. The commercials half the time don’t have anything to do with the cereal until the end.. when he pops out and shouts "they’re great!"

do you have any thoughts on the canary?

12/26/10  01:27pm

Silverdoe100
View Profile

Message To: Dalime   In reference to Message Id: 2194515

Which kind of bird..

Well, a canary isnt exactly what I’m looking for. They’re beautiful and I love their singing, but I was looking for something along the lines of a parrot. A little bit more intelligent and a deeper bond...and by singing I meant actual songs with words lol. I appreciate the suggestion though :)

12/27/10  09:13pm

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area