Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

Turtlemom   Kimforster   Turtlemom   Kimforster  
 Member  Message

Turtlemom
View Profile

Help with conure

I’ll try to make this short.
Several months ago we took in a conure from a young man who could no longer keep it due to a move. "Charlie" came to us with to us with a cage and supplies that show he/she was cared for. In the beginning, there was a screaming issue which has subsided with patience and attention, which I think was lacking in it’s previous home.
Charlie is kept in a room where the cage door is always open. When supervised (because there is also a dog and cat in the house) the door to the room is open.
There are three of us in the house, two women and one man. I’ve had a variety of birds in my life and was the first in the house to befriend Charlie by getting him (or her) to stop screaming and take food from my hand. Though the other woman spent a lot of time talking to and sitting with Charlie, she is afraid to let him take food from her hand and drops it when he gets close. The man of the house has become Charlie’s best friend. Will sit on his shoulder as he walks around the house and LOVES to share dinner while taking morsels from his mouth (also plucks ear hairs LOL...)
The bottom line is this....Charlie tolerates me, is unaffected by the dog, has stopped screaming at the cat but screams (and severely bruises his man) when our female roommate comes close.
Here are my questions for anyone who has experience with conures....Will Charlie ever become comfortable with women? And is it possible to tell if this bird is really a Charlie or Charlene? :)
Thanks for any input!

10/30/10  01:44am

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: Turtlemom   In reference to Message Id: 2184547

Help with conure

Conures can’t be visually sexed, unless one day it lays an egg, then you know it is a female. Other than that you need to take it to a vet for DNA sexing.

You haven’t mentioned what type of conure you have either.

There is no guarantee the conure will like females over time. It is just something you have to persevere with & give the conure the time it needs to adjust to everyone in the house properly. With an adopted conure it can take quite some time.

I have an adopted sun conure who hated men. To get her to accept my partner I had to have nothing to do with her at all & allowed my partner to do everything, including taking her out of the cage. She eventually came round & accept my partner, especially since she wanted time out of the cage & I was ignoring her & not the one who was going to get her out of the cage. Once she came round I started interacting with her again. She no longer has a problem with any male in the house.

And I know she is a she because she laid an egg :)

10/31/10  11:20pm

Turtlemom
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 2184959

Help with conure

Thanks for the help! Didn’t think we could tell the sex, pretty much knew it wasn’t as easy as the parakeets and cockatiels I’ve had.

Sorry, I should have given more information since the book I checked out showed how different species of conures have varied personalities. There were lots of pictures of the various types, but none of Charlie. But from the descriptions, I believe he is a "mittled"(may not have that right). He/she is the size of a cockatiel, but somewhat stockier, mostly green, with red around the eyes and over the beak and a bright orange head cap. There is a strip of red at the top of his legs which goes across the breast. When he takes a bath you can see the yellow under the wings and head.

If you don’t mind, I have a few questions since I’ve have had parakeets, cockatiels, lovebirds (and some unknown type of small, green conure as a kid) but never one of these. First, he is moulting. (I’m hoping this explains his poor flying ability, though if he was never out of the cage before that could be part of the problem. We want him to have some freedom but slamming into walls is dangerous!) This moult seems to be going on forever. Is this typical of the species? My other birds seemed to go through this so much quicker. Could this also affect his attitude?

Next, regards to feeding. He is given a seed blend for small parrots with extra sunflower seeds that he loves. We let him sample everything we eat. His favorites are chicken, beef, most veggies, bread(especially when he soaks it in his water), Ritz Bitz crackers with peanut butter and the one thing he won’t go to bed without.....Cheerios and milk! Is this healthy? Are there any human foods we should avoid? What about vitamins. I used to use a powder that I sprinkled on the food, but Pet-Smart has replaced our local pet stores here and doesn’t carry it. Are vitamins necessary with a varied diet or during moult?

As far as getting to like women....I’m just ticked off that when we took in this crazy bird I was the one to stop the incessant screaming and teach to "step-up" and hand feed. Then the man of the house got involved and since the bird was raised in a house full of men it took to him and now just tolerates me while sitting on my shoulder! Talk about ingratitude!!!! LOL He does seem to be adjusting though. Charlie loves the man, doesn’t blink an eye at the dog, only screams at the cat when he comes into the room, but stops when the cat curls up and goes to sleep, will sit on me and has (somewhat) learned to ignore the other woman in the house whom he hates. We’re still working on that issue! :)

We’ve had Charlie/Charlene for a few months now. We were told he is 3 years old and the previous owner had him since a baby. Is there any chance he will learn to talk?

Sorry for what may be stupid questions, but we want him to have the best life.

Thanks.

11/05/10  02:13am

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: Turtlemom   In reference to Message Id: 2185815

Help with conure

From your description it sounds like a Golden capped conure:
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww20eiii.htm

I have a sun conure & they also seem to moult ’for ever’. I have spoken to other sunnie owners & have put it down to conures. They do seem to go through long heavy moults.

Healthy human food is OK for any parrot. No apple seed, artificial sweeteners, oil, fat, sugar, honey, alcohol, avocado, caffeine, chocolate, mouldy foods & grains, salt, limit dairy. Natural yoghurt is OK every now & then but they are lactose intolerant so it isn’t healthy on a regular basis.

If you go to this site:
http://eclectusparrots.net/diets.html
You’ll see all the food your conure can eat. It’s my site, it’s an eclectus parrot site but it has lists of parrot safe foods. Any food safe for one species parrot is safe for all. It will give you an idea of what you can give your conure.

You can buy pellets & add them as an additional food every day. Conure or medium adult maintenance pellets will have all the vitamins your conure will need.

My sunnie was adopted & hated men but I have changed that. You can read her story here on how I changed her attitude. It might help you with Charlie:
http://eclectusparrots.net/squash.html

I don’t know anything about mitred or Golden capped conures but I understand some conures will talk while others won’t. My sunnie is almost 8 years old & only says hello every evening, nothing more.

11/05/10  08:20am

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area