Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

IzzDuckie   Kimforster   IzzDuckie   RaeBeas   IzzDuckie   Kimforster  
 Member  Message

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Thinking of Getting Another Bird

My family has been getting really fond of birds, and we are thinking of getting one that we can tame. We are looking for something gererally inexpensive (bird-wise, about 80$ or less), that gets along well with children (ages 5 and 7), that is very loving and playful. Any suggestions?

06/15/10  12:58am

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2155871

$80 isn’t much. It may get you a small bird like a budgie or cockatiel.

You also need to consider vet bills. If you’re only prepared to $80 for a small bird, are you prepared to take it to the vet when necessary? They’re not a disposable creature because of their size or price. They have a right to expense as needed as well like seeing a vet when they’re sick.

For a playful, loving bird, that is entirely up to you. YOU are the one who will need to train & tame the bird to be loving, tame & playful. This takes time & patients & is something that only comes when the bird learns to trust you. There is no such thing as an already loving, playful bird. That takes work to achieve.

You have a 5 & 7 year old. Just think of the bird as being that age all it’s life because that is what you basically get with a bird. A very young child that needs to be trained & taught how to do things. They learn everything from you, including bad habits like screaming. It is all learned behaviour from their human owners. What you do, say & how you react towards them & around them impacts on their lives.

Honestly no parrot gets along with children. MANY of them have very little tolerance of them because of children being so loud & unpredictable. A juvenile parrot may learn to grow up to get used to children but that is also no guarantee. It is up to you to teach your children to care for the bird properly, not up to the bird to accept young children. IMO it is a nice idea to have young kids grow up with birds. They learn a lot of responsibility, as long as the parents are also responsible bird owners as well.

Google budgie & cockatiel care & get more information on them. Do as much research as you possibly can because there is a LOT you need to know about these, or any other bird, before buying it. The better prepared you are with knowledge of them, the smoother things will go from the start when you do buy one.

Good luck.

06/15/10  02:33am

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: Kimforster   In reference to Message Id: 2155879

Oh no, I ment the cost of the bird itself. Suppliment and other things like that will be spared no expense. I just mean 80$ for the actual bird, not including its cage and stuff.

I plan to train the bird, I do know that they do not come already as loving and friendly. It takes time and effort to build up trust. As for the child issue, we plan to have the kids to probably only admire the bird, rather than having them touch-interact with them. BTW, I’m 13 years old, and I’ll be doing most of the caring for the bird. I’ve done tons of research on birds, so please do not question my responsiblilty or experience. I’m really tired of people telling me that I’m too inexperienced to have any bird other than finches. -_-

Anyways, based on what I’ve researched (and of course, my families wantings), we are planning on getting a lovebird. But should we get a lovebird, or a cockatiel is the question. Any personal opinions?

06/15/10  07:50pm

RaeBeas
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2156091

That all depends on what you personally want in the bird. Lovebirds tend to be more playful than cockatiels. This isn’t to say that no cockatiels play. I adopted my ’tiel off of Craigslist and his former owner told me he doesn’t like toys. I have yet to see that, he loves to play. He is also a snuggle bug who enjoys sitting on my shoulder for hours at a time. I have never owned a lovebird myself, just Zebra Finches, Budgies, and my Cockatiel.

If you get a young bird, and tame him/her, I think you will be happy no matter what. As long as you and your family like the sounds of birds, you will do fine!

06/16/10  07:21pm

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: RaeBeas   In reference to Message Id: 2156342

We got a lovebird! And he’s a real sweetie. After a few hours of playing with him, he doesn’t mind at all me holding him. He almost fell asleep in my hand! Right now he is TEMPORARLY inside a small cage at the moment, until we get our 22x24x26 (I think that was the size) cage we ordered off of Ebay.

06/17/10  11:13pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2156598

hmm I know you want a bird for $80. I was just adding that there is more expense after that & was only mentioning a couple of bird species that were around that price :)

I don’t believe I questioned your responsibility either. Just covered all basis. Better than getting none of the info you should have huh? :)

congrats on your bird & please don’t take any advice personally from anyone if you ask a question about it.

06/24/10  02:42am

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area