Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Birds Forum

IzzDuckie   QueenBeez   IzzDuckie   QueenBeez   IzzDuckie   QueenBeez   IzzDuckie   QueenBeez   IzzDuckie   IzzDuckie  
 Member  Message

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Aggressive Zebra Finch

I recently got a new zebra finch to add to my current, and he is VERY aggressive, especially with my female. He flutters angrily at my two other males, and madly pecks at their heads. He grabs my female by the wings and aggressively tries to mate with her. My poor female can hardly fly to the upper part of the cage with being assaulted by him.

Right now he’s in a separate cage. Is there anyway to improve his behaviour effectively, or will he always be mean and aggressive?

06/07/10  09:14pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2154092

Aggressive Zebra Finch

Most likely he will remain dominant, but what is your female to male ratio?

06/08/10  10:12am

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2154215

Aggressive Zebra Finch

1 female, 3 males. Only two are interested in the female, and one of them she particularly favors. It seems as the male’s want to mate with her has turned into plain dislike, I tried to put him in for a moment to see if anything had gotten any better, and he no longer tries to mate with her, just attacks her. -_-

06/08/10  08:31pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2154357

Aggressive Zebra Finch

Thats why! They are competing for the one female. They should always be in pairs to prevent that kind of aggression. So you pretty much have two options to cut back on that kind of aggression. If you have room you can invest in 2 more female finches and then have 3-3 so they each have a mate and don’t feel they are in constant competition. Or you can keep the female separate and away from the males.

Basically as it is with the 1-3 your aggressive male is the dominant one but thinks he is in constant competition so he has to repeatedly try to breed with the female.

06/08/10  08:43pm

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2154364

Aggressive Zebra Finch

Yeah, I’m thinking of just replacing the aggressive one and getting a female one. I don’t know how that’s gonna work out, because the store I got him from won’t take refunds or exchanges. -_-

06/10/10  05:51pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2154762

Aggressive Zebra Finch

You could still keep him. Chances are if hes away from the female long enough he will calm back down (im speaking from experience as this happened to me once). And if you add a female for every male thats in there he wont be so dominant either. Its just because he was in competition mode... but if theres no competition then he will be fine. I had one that was equally as aggressive and I took the female out for a week added a few more females in with my 2 males and now they are happy and fine.

06/10/10  07:08pm

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2154784

Aggressive Zebra Finch

What if the female is acting aggressive as well? She’s chasing around one of the two males. BTW, I think she’s already bonded with another male, and that probably has to do with her issue with him.

06/10/10  07:34pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2154787

Aggressive Zebra Finch

That could be it... its all a matter of ratio. I bet if you get equal females to males they will settle down.

06/10/10  07:44pm

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2154789

Aggressive Zebra Finch

I got another female one... and to be honest none of the other birds seem to like her. She gets chased by everyone of them, and I’m afraid keeping her in my cage will end badly for her. Unfortunately I might have to return the new female back to the pet store, because things didn’t seem to get any better for any of the birds in the cage. Ugg.

06/14/10  02:13am

IzzDuckie
View Profile

Message To: IzzDuckie   In reference to Message Id: 2155563

Aggressive Zebra Finch

Hmm, my pair of mated finches are starting to fight with eachother. Ugg, and comments on that, because before they were really close.

06/14/10  06:25pm

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area