Birds Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Hunnycombs_2001   Lovetheleo   Hunnycombs_2001   LizaB2008   Shadow dragon  

Member  Message

Hunnycombs_2001
View Profile

Cockatiel HELP

OK i had just bought a white-face cockatiel from a breeder YESTERDAY morning and its still scared of its new home he stays at the bottom of the cage and he hasn’t eaten since he got here yesterday. When will he open up and start eatting?

11/16/09  10:38am

Lovetheleo
View Profile

Message To: Hunnycombs_2001   In reference to Message Id: 2095863

Cockatiel HELP

he should still be eating
just leave him alone as much as possible and as far as how long it will take for him to come around

it really depends it can take days or weeks for them to be comfortable

11/16/09  12:05pm

Hunnycombs_2001
View Profile

Message To: Lovetheleo   In reference to Message Id: 2095887

Cockatiel HELP

Thanks.

11/16/09  12:08pm

LizaB2008
View Profile

Message To: Hunnycombs_2001   In reference to Message Id: 2095888

Cockatiel HELP

Just like any other animal you just have to give him time. He probably is eating, it’s probably just at night when he can’t see you. He’s just not ready to eat in front of you. Just give him a week to adjust and slowly earn his trust with treats and talking to him. All of my birds were shy during the first few weeks, they only ate at night and stayed where it was safe in the cage. Eating in front of you makes him nonerable and he’s not sure of you just yet. Leave him be for a week or two, just feeding and watering him, maybe talk to him a little when you walk by. Once he start eating in front of you, thats when you start offering treats and just going ove and saying high. My cockatiels whistle for me clear from the other room, they love to talk to you and whistle with you. You just have to give it time and he’ll come around. Are you planning on hand training him or just leaving him in the cage?

11/21/09  06:23pm

Shadow dragon
View Profile

Message To: Hunnycombs_2001   In reference to Message Id: 2095863

Cockatiel HELP

My white face did the same thing. You should keep movement around him minimal and try putting some millet near him, mine is eating like a pig.

11/27/11  11:24am

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area