Birds Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ogoao   JENOVA   Kimforster   Shadow dragon   Shadow dragon  

Member  Message

Ogoao
View Profile

Important Cockatiel question

I need some help with my female Cockatiel.. she is laying SEVERAL infertile eggs- no male is with her to mate.... over the past month she has layed more than 7 eggs.... is there a way i can stop this? im afraid she will die of an egg getting stuck in her.. that happened to my neighbor’s cockatiel.. i give her a calcium white .. i forgot what its called.. and i give her egg as protein.. these egg shells she is making are using alot of her energy and protiens in her body.. please give me some advice!!!!

06/04/09  03:56pm

JENOVA
View Profile

Message To: Ogoao   In reference to Message Id: 2016393

There’s something you can do with the amount of daylight hours she has. i don’t remember exactly but you can call your vet to find out the number of hours a day they should be getting to avoid that.

06/07/09  09:58pm

Kimforster
View Profile

Message To: JENOVA   In reference to Message Id: 2018204

As said above reduce the amount of daylight hours she is receiving. To do this simply put her to bed earlier than usual & get her up later than usual in the mornings. They should receive about 12 hours of sleep daily. If she’s getting this then remove her cage from brightly lit areas. Take her away from any windows or doors she may be in front of. Give her shorter amounts of time in front of them.

You should also remove anything that is encouraging her to lay, newspaper, boxes, anything she is able to hide herself in. Remove her food for periods of the day. Perhaps only give her brekky, lunch & dinner for an hour or so then remove the meals for the remainder of the times. Take her out of her cage for longer periods & distract her with other things to do like human interaction or playing with toys.

Cockatiels are opportunist breeders. They will breed any time of the year as long as conditions are perfect. Unfortunately this can prove to be a bad thing for captive bred tiels. If they’re happy in their cage, have a continuous supply of food, water, toys & chew things, everything they want in one little spot (their cages) then they will want to start breeding or keep laying eggs.

Do NOT remove her eggs until the full incubation period. this can also cause her to continue to lay. Once she lays eggs, leave them with her. After she goes through the full incubation period (approx 28 days) & the eggs don’t hatch she will get tired of sitting on them & will leave them. Then you can remove them. By taking her eggs away prematurely she will have the urge to continue laying to replace what has been taken away from her. This can be dangerous to her health.

Calcium block, cuttle bone, hard boiled eggs & eggs shells, well cooked chicken or chicken bones are good sources of calcium & protein while she’s laying.

06/08/09  12:49am

Shadow dragon
View Profile

I heard that exposure to light can cause your bird to have eggs.

11/27/11  02:15am

Shadow dragon
View Profile

I would suggest taking her to the vet though. My first one died that way to.

11/28/11  07:26pm

Back to Birds Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area