Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cindiiirella   Bughuul   Cindiiirella  

Member  Message

Cindiiirella
View Profile

Bearded Dragon - broken spine

I have a 4 year old BD name Rexy and she seems to have a broken back.. found her on her back 3 weeks ago when I got home from work. Noticed she wasn’t using her back legs so took her to the vet who gave me powdered food to give by syringe as well as some inflammation liquid and calcium liquid. Did that for a week with no improvement so called to give update to vet who suggested euthanasia. I disagreed and kept on giving her the meds, food, warm baths, and sun light. She finally pooped Friday and began to eat fruits and veggies (banana, apple, cabbage, etc..) I just want to know if anything else can be done or if she will make it..?

05/21/18  02:48pm

Bughuul
View Profile

Message To: Cindiiirella   In reference to Message Id: 2322347

If the vet is sure that the spine was broken, there really isn’t much that can be done. However, there are a lot of cases where an animals back legs fail due to impaction or a blockage. If she pooped, then there is a chance that the blockage cleared up. Hard to say 100% the cause without more info.

05/22/18  07:10am

Cindiiirella
View Profile

Message To: Bughuul   In reference to Message Id: 2322348

Bughuul thank you for your reply. First vet visit she didn’t do an x-ray - she just went off of how she felt and gave meds. I called a week later to give update that she hadn’t pooped or eaten solid foods yet and vet advised euthanasia which I declined. I asked about x-ray being done, but vet stated nothing else can be done even IF spine is indeed broken. I was really hoping she’d start using back legs after she went to the bathroom, but hasn’t.

05/22/18  09:23am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area