Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Katielh   Icearstorm   Dragontears  

Member  Message

Katielh
View Profile

RESCUED, STARVED JUVENILLE HELP!!!

I rescued a 9-10 month old beardie and its SO thin, I have a beardie of my own so I figured I would try to save this one.

almost every bone can be seen, including the spine hips and finger joints, I have given it a warm bath in an attempt to hydrate it. it is extremely lethargic and appears to be sleeping, there is almost no muscle mass in the legs or neck. I have looked/felt the stomach and there doesn’t appear to be a blockage. I have no clue how to help this little guy get strength back or get it to eat, and on its road to recovery.

please, any idea helps!

10/10/16  10:18am

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Katielh   In reference to Message Id: 2319603

Use some Pedialyte, Lactated Ringers Solution, or some other electrolyte solution to use in place of water. It provides easy-to-digest sugars as well as some salt and other important electrolytes. You should throw out room-temperature electrolyte solutions after several hours once you open them to prevent bacterial or fungal infections, though they last about 3 days in the fridge and at least a month in the freezer. Also make up some cooked meat paste for protein; baby food should work well for this. You may need to hand-feed the solution and meat paste via an eyedropper placed inside the front of the mouth. If it does not swallow this, you may need to try tube feeding, though I have no experience with this.
As your bearded dragon gets stronger it can graduate to cooked greens, then fresh greens, then live insects. Progressing in this fashion means the food gradually gets harder to digest until a normal diet is fed.

10/11/16  05:44am

Dragontears
View Profile

Message To: Katielh   In reference to Message Id: 2319603

Zilla makes jump start its a tube . it works really well just sqeez a tiny but into there mouth. Also put some apple cider vinagr in the water its anti fungle and helps immunity

11/12/16  08:05pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area