Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Drogon   SonicBlu   Melb  

Member  Message

Drogon
View Profile

Hiding under his mat

Hi,

My son has a Bearded Dragon appx 8 months old that the last few days he has been hiding under his mat when we get home from work.

We have the appropriate bulb for day, and a separate one for evening. We also heat pad on the cage to help keep his temperatures correct. My son has a temperature/Humidity gauge in the cage and is constantly checking it.

Is there a reason he might be hiding under the mat?

Thank you.

09/01/16  10:51pm

SonicBlu
View Profile

Message To: Drogon   In reference to Message Id: 2319387

Hiding under his mat

It could be that your son’s bearded dragon is in brumation, which is perfectly normal behavior for bearded dragons. All bearded dragons will brumate between 2 to 4 months, and during this time, they will tend to cover themselves and underneath mats are common places for bearded dragons to brumate. The bearded dragon may do this for a few months out of the year, and during this time, their movement will be lessened, they will keep at rest a lot more often than normal, and will also eat less during this time as well. Although even if the bearded dragon may be in brumation, it will still keep its eyes open during the day which is one thing to look for to tell if your bearded dragon is not sick. At any rate, I’d say keep a good watch on the bearded dragon and make sure it’s aware of its daily fresh food and water, and if you feel the bearded dragon is not moving around much during this brumation period (such as appearing lethargic, unable to keep its eyes open during the day, weak movement if any, etc.) you may need to consider taking the bearded dragon in for a checkup at a local veterinarian, one who specializes in exotic pets. In the meantime, just keep a watch over its daily activities and give them daily checkups yourself---make sure they still have all their limbs, tail is still full, they don’t have any bruises or abrasions, and they’re free of parasites.

09/09/16  11:26am

Melb
View Profile

Message To: Drogon   In reference to Message Id: 2319387

Hiding under his mat

When my girl was younger she hid all the time. I had to take out her hide n the day and put it back at night. You might have to make it so your bearded cant hide. Its not healthy if it hides all the time. They only brumate in the winter...

09/21/16  04:57pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area