Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Scylla1   SonicBlu  

Member  Message

Scylla1
View Profile

How to convince parents to let me buy a bearded dragon

I trying to figure out ideas to ask my parents to let me get a bearded dragon, ideas would be helpful.

08/16/16  05:06pm

SonicBlu
View Profile

Message To: Scylla1   In reference to Message Id: 2319308

How to convince parents to let me buy a bearded dragon

Hi Scylla1.

It’s often difficult to convince parents to obtain a bearded dragon for their kids as a pet, since many of them either don’t like reptiles, or they fear that they’re just too complicated to care for. Here are some positive points that every parent should know.

1. The care for bearded dragons is a lot easier than any other lizard, next to leopard geckos and anoles and last a bit longer than the two.
2. Bearded dragons make excellent companion pets because of the bond that is shared between the pet and the owner. The more you care for the bearded dragon, the closer of a bond you will share and the closer you both will be.
3. Bearded dragons are easy to buy food for. Bearded dragons are omnivores, so they eat vegetables (like carrots, collard greens, turnip greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens, green beans, peas, kale, bok choy) fruit (like grapes, strawberries, kiwi, mango) and meats (like superworms, waxworms, silkworms, and crickets). The only precaution to take is A) make sure their crickets are dusted well with calcium dust before feeding them to your dragon, B) make sure they don’t get any seeds, strings, or stems with their vegetables since they can’t digest these things, and C) make sure these necessities are provided for the bearded dragon every day, especially if they’re in brumation (hibernation) periods.
4. Unlike other reptiles, bearded dragons are great learners and will grow along with the owner based on how they’re treated while being raised, so their likelihood of attacking or getting angry are greatly reduced because of the level of trust they form with their owners.
5. A happy bearded dragon is an adorable bearded dragon. I’m around family members that do not like reptiles, but after seeing how happy my bearded dragon is and how she shows her happiness, the whole family is in love with her and have gone as far as to even softly pet her when they would normally never go near a reptile. Bearded dragons, although not born with the ability to display affectionate or loving emotions, they can learn it if it is taught to them at an early enough age and are allowed to grow into a world enveloped by loving intentions, lots of attention, and above all, patience and great care.

If that’s not enough to convince your parents to give you a chance, I’d say keep trying. Bearded dragons make really excellent pets, and if they’re raised right and are given lots of love and attention, they will go out of their way to show their appreciation to their owners every time.

Above all, if you ever feel you want to get a head start in learning about bearded dragon care, please check out my YouTube channel for a series of videos called "Bowsie’s Vlogs" in which I give weekly bearded dragon care tips to help owners understand their pets better and to help interpret their behaviors. (I also include several anecdotes of my experiences with Bowsie while raising her from infancy.) The URL for my YouTube channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCANmwSx-Roy-b6PEcTqvbdw (I have posted many different types of videos, but for bearded dragon care, look for the playlist Bowsie’s Vlogs). Hope this helps you.

09/09/16  10:43am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area