Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Melissacisneros   Manderson   Melb  

Member  Message

Melissacisneros
View Profile

My bearded dragon wont grow

I have a dragon that’s almost a year old he eats meal worms crickets and salad I have him in a 55 gal. Tank with a led light not sure on the temp but he’s not growing is there something I’m doing wrong

06/13/16  11:19pm

Manderson
View Profile

Message To: Melissacisneros   In reference to Message Id: 2318743

I’m sorry to hear your bearded friend isn’t growing. There are a few things you could do to promote health and growth. Do you have a UVB bulb? Like most reptiles, beardies require heat, UVA and UVB light. Without UVB your beardies cannot synthesize calcium which can stunt growth and potentially cause metabolic bone disease.

You should also dust your crickets and worms with calcium (with D3) and multivitamins. You should set up a schedule for dusting like this:
Sunday - cricketsworms (Calcium /W D3)
Monday - salad
Tuesday - cricketsworms (Calcium without D3 if you can spare a few extra bucks)
Wednesday - salad
Thursday - cricketsworms (Calcium /W D3)
Friday - crickets worms (no dusting)
Saturday - salad

Since your beardie is still growing, he should eat about 70% protein and 30% salad. Once he is an adult, he’ll need about 20% protein and 80%s salad. As far as food items, crickets a great staple for your beardie’s protein requirement because they’re cheapish and are sold at most pet stores (I would personally recommend Dubai roaches, but you have to order them online usually...). Mealworms aren’t the best. If you need to put some weight on your little buddy, I have had success with super worms (use tweazers, they bite!). There are several websites with solid nutritional analyses of feeder insects for reptiles.

I understand we all have budgetary limitations and we all can’t spend all of our money on our pets, but I recommend doing a little more surfing on the internet and these forums and do some learning. If you’re feeding live insects, I can tell already that you care about your little buddy. Just make sure he eats as much as he wants, has the right temperatures, a proper light cycle (12 hours on12 houroffs is fine), and MOST IMPORTANTLY UVB LIGHT. Good luck !

06/25/16  01:11am

Melb
View Profile

Message To: Melissacisneros   In reference to Message Id: 2318743

I just read there was a whole bunch of bad uvb light bulbs sold. you should try and replace yours.

09/21/16  05:00pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area