Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

MoseyqueBeardie   MoseyqueBeardie   Saphiras mom   MoseyqueBeardie   Bmxking658   Cphill58   Cphill58  

Member  Message

MoseyqueBeardie
View Profile

Lighting help

Our family inherited an adult beardie yesterday. He came with a large terrarium and what I thought was sufficient lighting, but one of the bulbs isn’t working at all. I went to replace it today and I know that I got the wrong basking light. I thought that this was the heat lamp but it shines bright and cannot be used for nighttime.

The light on the left (short UVA/UVB light) is functioning well. I want to know what to get for the dual light fixture on the right. Any brands/kinds recommended? The heat lamp that came with the tank does not shine light but it also doesn’t get the tank warm enough (only up to 80 degrees).

**I cannot get a picture to upload. :(

02/21/16  11:38pm

MoseyqueBeardie
View Profile

Message To: MoseyqueBeardie   In reference to Message Id: 2317157

Lighting help

Anyone? I finally bought a digital thermometer and saw that the heat emitter gets it up to 95 or so, which I heard is good for adult beardies. A daytime basking lamp made it over 106 and I noticed that my beardie stayed on the cool side when I had that on. I don’t think she liked it that warm (her old owners just used the heat emitter so she might be more accustomed to the 95 degrees). Do I put a UVA/UVB on the other side instead of the basking light?

02/23/16  03:15pm

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: MoseyqueBeardie   In reference to Message Id: 2317180

Lighting help

You must have UVB. I would recommend starting by reading the beautiful dragon website for advice on how to care for a beardie.

02/24/16  06:51am

MoseyqueBeardie
View Profile

Message To: Saphiras mom   In reference to Message Id: 2317187

Lighting help

I do have a UVB light. I wanted to know what to put in for the "hot" side of the tank.

02/24/16  09:35pm

Bmxking658
View Profile

Message To: MoseyqueBeardie   In reference to Message Id: 2317201

Lighting help

Of course this is my opinion and some people may have other suggestions. First off you said the light was given to you. Throw it out. Just because a uvb light works doesn’t mean it still puts out uvb. Change the bulb every 6 months. Please explain what your enclosure is like. Length width height. Screen top? These factor in what bulb to get. You want the uvb bulb to be most of the lenght of the enclosure. I and most recommend the zoo med reptisun 10.0. They have a chart on the website that tells you how far the animal should be for each bulb they make. I personally like the new t5 high outputs but I also have a 24 in high enclosure. As for basking bulbs you have to experiment a little bit to find the bulb wattage that keeps the basking spot around 95-100 degrees for an adult. If the room temp doesn’t go below 70 degrees don’t worry about a night bulb. Mercury vapor bulbs are good to and I use them for other things but they only produce uvb in the basking area and my beardies seem to go all over the enclosure so they wouldnt be getting enough exposure per day. Post more specifics about your enclosure itself and I can help better.

03/01/16  10:07am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bmxking658   In reference to Message Id: 2317285

Lighting help

GO TO PHOTOBUCKET make a free account...create an album...post a link to that album here...

03/07/16  05:58am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2317348

Lighting help

in photobucket you can click on an option to share and it copies the image to your clipboard ...PC
if I use my cell phone I just capture a screen shot...

This is the IMG file
Notice the lighting UVB tube Reptisun 10.0 & since the fixture holds 2 lamps I also added a 5600k daylight (8.00) at the Lowes/ Home Depot hardware
Hot basking mini dome 75 watt halogen lamp also available at the hardware stores and they last longer than the reptile lamps

If you are familiar with the Kelvin scale you will understand the COLOR of lights and what I did here

03/07/16  06:06am

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area