Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mk17rules   Mk17rules   Lizard girl 4   Lizard girl 4   Mk17rules   Mk17rules   Mk17rules   Dragon Lover   Mk17rules   Dragon Lover   Mk17rules   Dragon Lover   Mk17rules  

Member  Message

Mk17rules
View Profile

Is my beardie dying of old age?

hey guys I have a 9 year old bearded dragon we have had him since he was about 3 weeks to a month old. we just sold all of our dragons except him cuz it was too much on me n my mom we sold his tank with our last dragon we sold and put him in one of the other dragons tanks that we sold he was in a 40 gallon breeder and now he is in a 75 gallon breeder we have 2 night red bulbs on him one is a 150w and the other one is a 100w and also we have a 100w day light on him we give him crickets every other day and veggies everyday to everyother day he has a water bowl a homemade ramp thing so he can get closer to the lights for heat and about 3 houses. he has pooped once since we put him in there and that was in his food bowl . he has been in there for about a week and a half now. also when ever we try getting him out of his tank to hold him he flares up flattens his body and his beard goes black and he opens his mouth.. he has been really lethargic he just isnt acting like the spike we know.... i have heard that the oldest dragon anyone has seen is 15 years old. but an average bearded dragon life span is 10 years my question is are these signs of him dying from old age? or is there anything i can do to help him back to normal spike? i really miss his old self he was really nice now he is kind of a jerk lol please reply asap. also if u need pictures of him or his tank i will gladly post some. i dont see y he wouldnt like his new tank he is living the dream if u ask me lol i think he has a better house than i do

08/03/12  09:53pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275574

i decided i would post photos anyways so here u guys go. also we put a blanket on top of his tank (nt close to the lights) cuz my moms room is kinda cold so it keeps the heat in the tank.
this is his tank i think you might be able to see him in it.

then this is him

then him again

he isnt as cranky today as he normally has been the last week but heres another picture of him

then this is his other house

there u guys go please let me know what i can do to help him get back to normal spike thanks guys.

08/03/12  10:41pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275574

What greens do you feed him and have you fed him something you don’t usually feed him lately? Do you have a UVB light? Pictures might help. I am not an expert so hopefully somebody that knows more about them will reply.

08/03/12  11:05pm

Lizard girl 4
View Profile

Message To: Lizard girl 4   In reference to Message Id: 2275579

Oh sorry! I didn’t see your latest post because I pulled this up earlier.

08/03/12  11:07pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Lizard girl 4   In reference to Message Id: 2275580

collard greens,yellow squash,zuccini,green and red bell pepers. and no we havent added anything new. is there anything wrong with his house that could make him so angry lethargic and not use the bathroom i mean this lizard used to poop like 8-10 times a day and now he has pooped once in a week and a half... i also read that it might be because its breeding season? is this true?

08/04/12  12:06am

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275585

this is how he usually is until we put crickets in his tank.... so he literally hides and sleeps like this for a day to a few days straight unless we get in the tank and make sure he is alive...

08/04/12  12:15am

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275586

im freaking out i dont know if its something we are doing or if he is just getting close to his time to pass on ... can anyone else help me?.. asap...

08/04/12  01:04am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275588

Hi,

What kind of UVB do you have for him?

He may just be a bit upset at all the changes. Bearded Dragons hate change. It will take him a while to get used to everything new again.

Bearded Dragons, just like anything and anybody, will slow down when older. Although not a lot of research has been done on older dragons, they do tend to get the same symptoms and ailments that older people do.

Edel

08/04/12  11:48am

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2275608

I think it is a reptisun if I remember correctly 100w n I got his out last night to check his mouth for any yellowing and I couldn’t see good enough to tell but he didn’t freak out this time n I had him out for a while n he just fell asleep on my shoulder n I put him in his tank n he was wide awake again but he was trying to catch a few crickets that were left over in his tank n he missed every time and everyone . I’m watching him now n he is still missing them.. he has never done that he has always gotten them....

08/04/12  12:53pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275611

Ok, so the light should not be any problem then.

It could be that he can’t see them as well. i’m not sure of course, since am not a vet. Maybe pull the legs off so the crickets can’t jump....or to slow them down you can place them in the freezer for a few seconds. They will start going dormant and slow them down. Don’t leave them in the freezer too long for it will kill them.

Edel

08/04/12  02:36pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2275616

Okay thanks so much for letting me know that :). Do u think hes getting close to his time since I’m doing everything right?

08/04/12  02:40pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2275617

His slowing down doesn’t necessarily mean he’s going to die. He could live a long while still but just being slow. I know our 8 year old, Androth, cannot climb as well anymore, so we lowered his hammocks and basking areas closer to the ground.....it’s just a change.

They’re such awesome pets....I wish we never lost any of them.

Edel

08/04/12  03:48pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2275624

Thank u so much for answering we also asked my local petstore employee who also has dragons and other cool stuff and he said its just him still getting used to his new tank and just stressed n said there isn’t any worries he should live for much longer atleast 4-6 more years :)

08/04/12  08:26pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area