Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Savannahmonitorlover   Dragon Lover   Savannahmonitorlover   Dragon Lover   Savannahmonitorlover   Dragon Lover   Savannahmonitorlover   Dragon Lover   Savannahmonitorlover   Savannahmonitorlover   Dragon Lover   Chrlea   Savannahmonitorlover   Savannahmonitorlover   Chrlea  

Member  Message

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Thinking of buying a beardie.

Well right now I have a savannah monitor. I built a bigger cage for him but im waiting until he gets biggerbut in the mean time I was thinking about getting a beardie to fill the other cage when I move him over. What all will I need and are there any good bearded dragon breeders on here?

05/31/12  06:47pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268343

Hi,

First the enclosure.....a 40 breeder (36x18x18) is the minimum for a Bearded Dragon; of course, bigger is better.

Substrate.....solid is best. I love tile; it is very easy to clean and if you get the rougher type, they don’t slip. Repti carpet, newspaper, paper towels, non adhesive shelf liner are good as well. If you want to use sand, make sure yous tay away from the calci sand they sell at the pet stores. The best would be children’s play sand that you can get at home depot or lowe’s.

Heat, of course......For basking 110 to 115F degress. For the cool side 85 is best.

UVB is a must....the best is the Reptisun 10.0 tube. MVBs are ok. My favorite is the Powersun.

Bearded Dragons are Diurnal, so he will need to sleep at night and be awake during the day. He does not need heat at night unless it gets below 60F degrees in his tank.

Food.....If you are getting a baby, he will need to eat protein two to three times a day, allowing him to eat all he can eat in a 15 minute period. As he gets older, he will gradually slow himself down to eating veggies every day and protein twice a week.

Staple Bugs.....Crickets, Silk Worms and or Roaches. As treats you can feed super worms, butter worms, horn worms, phoenix worms and or wax worms.

Staple Veggies.....Mustard Greens, Collard Greens, Endive, Escarole, Beet tops, dandelion greens and flower, Turnip Greens, Banana Squash, Butternut Squash, cactus pad (needles pulled) and pear, mango and green beans. As treats you can feed pretty much all else. Do stay away from potatoes, avocados, onion, mushrooms and rubharb for they are toxic.

Dust his food with Calcium with no D3. He will make his own D3 with the help of the UVB rays. Too much D3 can cause toxicity.
Dusting Schedule:
Between the ages of 2-4 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder twice a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder twice a week.

Between the ages of 4-8 months:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder once a day.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

Between the ages of 8 months on:
Dust their prey with plain calcium powder two times a week.
Dust their prey with vitamin powder once a week.

He may or may not drink water out of a bowl. My suggestion would be put one int he enclosure anyway so he can use it if and when he needs it. We have some that will sit in it, some will run through it, some will poop through it and some will look at the bowl like it’s something from out of space. LOL

To keep him hydrated give him a bath a couple of times a week with a misting or two the days he doens’t get a bath.

I think that’s it......handle him often and he will be your best buddy.

Edel

06/02/12  02:57pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2268561

Thanks a bunch edel. Do u know anyone one here that sells them and I vould buy one through?

06/02/12  10:36pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268619

Of course.....Ya know, I don’t have or know of many breeders. Since we’ve acquired our critters as rescues. I’ll ask around though. Join us on facebook.......on repticzoners. Someone there may know.

Edel

06/02/12  11:10pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2268624

ok i will do. i just dont want to buy one from a pet store that doesnt keep them in very good shape at all. I want to buy one from someone that has spent time with them and keeps them in the good condition and healthy. thanks ill join

06/02/12  11:21pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268625

One of my very good friends has a clutch that is just starting to hatch. I’ll tell her to contact you on there, or here. She just sent me some pics. She is great and has had beardies for over ten years....nine or ten. lol

06/02/12  11:26pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2268627

good !!! =] that makes me happy lol um if she could get ahold of me one here i really dont know much on how to use facebook. I may be younger but i still dont really understand all of the crap on there lol. so if you could help me out and get her to get ahold of me then i would really appreciate it. and thank you so much for helping me figure out all i need to know to take care of one. I really appreciate it.

06/02/12  11:47pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268630

Oh you bet....now, she will test you so make sure you read up on this. They are just hatching, so they can’t really go to a new home until they are at least six weeks old, so learn all you can. She won’t let them go unless she knows you’ll be a good home....but am sure you will be since you’re on here asking questions. I will have her come on here...her screen name is Charlea and we call her charlie for Charlene. LOL

06/03/12  12:14pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2268660

Thanks :) ill study all the things that u have posted anf learn al I can would she ship one to me through over night when I get one if I pay :)?

06/03/12  02:00pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268665

Sorry edel lol I took a guess on facebook and asked if anyone knew a "guy" named edel lol.

06/03/12  05:04pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268678

haha....no worries. I guess it could be male (Ed)el..............LOL

06/03/12  09:18pm

Chrlea
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2268700

Cody I sent you a message. There is also one on Facebook.

Charlie

06/03/12  10:24pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Chrlea   In reference to Message Id: 2268711

thanks alot i really hope that both of you understand that i know the commitment and costs. i will pay for the shipping and everything i know i will continue to research even though i have read everything a million times. and i hope you understand that i will always keep good care of all of my pets and hope i get one of these beautiful animals =] thanks alot both of you =-]

06/03/12  11:04pm

Savannahmonitorlover
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268715

Im really looking forward to the possibility of getting a beardie hopefully lol. Ive been at tech all day reading on them. Hope I get a chance :)

06/04/12  01:46pm

Chrlea
View Profile

Message To: Savannahmonitorlover   In reference to Message Id: 2268768

Im sure you will have your chance with one of my babies. I can see your dedication to learning about these wonderful dragons. Keep learning and I will let you know before they are ready to ship. email or private message me your address when you can so I can find out how much shipping will be.

Charlie

06/04/12  10:11pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area