Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Trinity   Darla   GimliMakaio   SpeacilK   Xta   Trinity   TL   Trinity   GDFlash   Joani   Darla   Joani   Xta  
 Member  Message

Trinity
View Profile

Tail Rot

We have a sick baby bearded dragon who was diagnosed with Adenovirus from a local vet. A couple days ago, the baby started to get tail rot and we have been soaking it in Hydrogen Peroxide but it doesn’t seem to be working at all because it keeps spreading. Does anyone have any other suggestions to help stop tail rot?

10/26/04  5:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Darla
View Profile

Message To: Trinity   In reference to Message Id: 170540

Tail Rot

woow, whats up with his back legs I have never had a beardie with it but my mom said betidine works for stuff like that its a type of anti fungal wash its safe for them and it should work, ask your vet about it if you don’t know where to get it ,it should be at your walmart usually were the alcohol and hydro perocide are.

10/26/04  7:45pm
Sorry, No Replies

GimliMakaio
View Profile

Message To: Darla   In reference to Message Id: 170643

Tail Rot

that part of his tail doesnt look like it can be saved to me. it will most likely just fall off eventually.

10/26/04  8:03pm
Sorry, No Replies

SpeacilK
View Profile

Message To: GimliMakaio   In reference to Message Id: 170665

Tail Rot

is it just me or does he have a LONG tail?

10/26/04  8:05pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Trinity   In reference to Message Id: 170540

Tail Rot

Yikes...that dragon does look messed up. I sure hope he recovers. What treatment is he getting for Adenovirus?...that’s a hard one to treat. Are you sure your vet is really good with reptiles?

You may need to amputate that tail if it looks like the rot is spreading upward (could be dry gangrene).

Are the legs always back like that? Does he have full use of them?

Good luck and keep us posted. Also, be very careful if you have other reptiles. Hygiene is key...you don’t want to spread it.

10/26/04  10:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trinity
View Profile

Message To: Xta   In reference to Message Id: 170789

Tail Rot

All of our bearded dragons (4) are in separate cages and we always wash our hands before handling the other dragons. The baby started out as having calcium defiency (we bought his mother at a pet store and they didn’t know she was pregnant and wasn’t given the proper amount of calcium. we had her the last two weeks of pregnancy and gave her as much calcium as we could. after she laid her eggs, she was diagnosed with hookworm and was overdosed with panacur from a vet who didn’t know what they were doing. so we kind of knew that the two babies that hatched out of the 13 eggs could potentially have problems. the other baby is in good health...nothing wrong). The calcium defiency lead to seizures (still having them but not as much) and partial paralysis of his back legs. When he does try to use the legs they shake (he has done a lot of death rolls). The baby has gotten a calcium injection, vitamin b and d shot, and is currently on Cal-Gluconate (72mg/ml o.1ml twice a day). He is also being force fed a herbivore diet twice a day and will sometimes will be able to eat crickets (covered in calcium powder). Don’t know what else to do for this poor guy. The inside of his mouth is yellow and doesn’t seem to be getting any better yet. So should the tail be amputated or will it fall off? We will try that bitadine to see if it works...we are willing to try anything for this lil guy. As for the long tail, he should be bigger than what he is now...he is 11 weeks old and weighs 25 grams (he has lost a couple grams). The other baby is much bigger than him (obviously). We are feeling so bad for this guy and fustrated because we don’t know if there is anything else we can do for him.

10/26/04  11:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

TL
View Profile

Message To: Trinity   In reference to Message Id: 170822

Tail Rot

I wouldn’t amputate that part of the tail. I would just let it fall off on its own. there is purple stuff (can’t remember the name of it) that is used on cattle that you should get to put on it. we have used it on our adult dragon and it stopped the tail rot. a baby on the other time lost the whole tail except for a stub because we only used peroxide and neosporine. I will try to find the name of the purple stuff (our lable is all messed up, can’t read it) and I’ll post it asap.

10/27/04  4:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

Trinity
View Profile

Message To: TL   In reference to Message Id: 171039

Tail Rot

Thank you so much for your help, we really really appreciate it. Hopefully we can save as much of the tail as possible

10/28/04  12:08am
Sorry, No Replies

GDFlash
View Profile

Message To: Trinity   In reference to Message Id: 171366

Tail Rot

One of mine had the same thing, so I called him Kinky, his tail is a dead hook shape, but he’s fine, it just grows funny is all.

10/28/04  8:57am
Sorry, No Replies

Joani
View Profile

Message To: GDFlash   In reference to Message Id: 171466

Tail Rot

I would also try the betadine. I use it on all my critters if they have sores niks and scrapes. I would give the little guys tail a good soak. Poor little guy... Joan2

10/28/04  3:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Darla
View Profile

Message To: Joani   In reference to Message Id: 171562

Tail Rot

ya, I got the idea of betadine from my mom, she used it on a Friends horse that had rain rot on him.And of course it worked, got rid of it completely.

10/28/04  4:13pm
Sorry, No Replies

Joani
View Profile

Message To: Darla   In reference to Message Id: 171576

Tail Rot

Yes, I use it for that as well! My little donkey Taco had it (rain scald, we call it) and it worked great.

10/28/04  4:57pm
Sorry, No Replies

Xta
View Profile

Message To: Trinity   In reference to Message Id: 171366

Tail Rot

If it starts spreading upward (maybe make a mark on his tail so you can keep track) you definitely need to amputate. If it is dry gangrene, it can spread and you wouldn’t want to lose more tail than is necessary.

That is too bad he has had such a hard life. I wouldn’t be concerned about the color of his mouth. Many dragons show yellow in their mouth. I wonder if his body has trouble utilizing calcium. I have heard of this. Poor guy, keep us posted.

Also, avoid using peroxide if at all possible. It is very drying to the skin and can cause problems. Triple antibiotic is better but this only helps an infection, not anything viral or fungal.

10/28/04  6:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area