Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-General Forum

Zenn   Recon jarhead   Zenn   Recon jarhead   Jenjoe928   Gatorrangler911   Zenn   Blane   J & B   Drache   Sandfiredrake   Drache   Drache  
 Member  Message

Zenn
View Profile

Belly colour! (What does it mean?)

Hey Guys,
I have now had my beardie about two weeks and she is doing really well and i am so happy with her. However i often seen two different types of belly colour on her and just wondered if it meant anything?
Sometimes she is completely white and sometimes she is grey with white spots showing through.
Does it have something to do with how she is feeling?
Please write back soon,
Jon.

08/04/04  10:54am
Sorry, No Replies

Recon jarhead
View Profile

Message To: Zenn   In reference to Message Id: 113941

i think its normal, my bearded dragons belly does the same thing, when hes light colored his belly is completly white but when he gets dark like if he’s in a bad mood or we move him to another cage, his belly gets gray with spots, i think they all have the spots but you can only see them when they get darker,

hope this helps,
RECON

08/04/04  11:05am
Sorry, No Replies

Zenn
View Profile

Message To: Recon   In reference to Message Id: 113943

Thanks,
So your basically saying that when they are white bellied they are happy and when they are grey they are stressed?
Also sometimes she puts up her beard when nobody is even around but it stays white! What is she doing? She has finished her shed so she is not trying to losen her skin!
Please write back,
Jon.

08/04/04  11:13am
Sorry, No Replies

Recon jarhead
View Profile

Message To: Zenn   In reference to Message Id: 113950

kind of, like earlier today i took my beardie Topaz out to soak outside and he darkened up a little and his belly got gray with the spots, so i guess it just depends on their mood. about the beard, topaz does something like that he’ll like push his beard out and in like he’s gonna vomit, he does it when he’s warming up i think its normal, i guess its just how beardies clear their throats,

RECON,

08/04/04  2:06pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jenjoe928
View Profile

Message To: Recon   In reference to Message Id: 114045

Temps can also play a part in the belly color and in the beard puffing. In the morning when it is cool in Zion’s tank her belly is spotted but in the afternoon when she has been basking for a while she will puff out her beard but not have it change color that she is doing to cool down just a bit. They will pant when they are hot it is just a way of them cooling down, but it doesn’t sound like you have anything to be worried about.
Jen

08/04/04  2:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Gatorrangler911
View Profile

Message To: Jenjoe928   In reference to Message Id: 114051

yeah when mine is first gets u in the morning he is all dark with those dark spots the get like that when they are cold and when they warm up they go away

08/04/04  2:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Zenn
View Profile

Message To: Gatorrangler911   In reference to Message Id: 114072

Thanks guys,
I think you are right about the temp thing cause i just gave her a very warm bath (not hot) and she was completely white after it.
Thanks,
Jon.

08/04/04  2:51pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blane
View Profile

Message To: Zenn   In reference to Message Id: 114085

hmmmm,i guess my bd is always stressed then because whenever he is basking,his belly has a design and the design color is black,but whenever i think he is stressed,his belly is pure white

08/04/04  8:30pm
Sorry, No Replies

J & B
View Profile

Message To: Blane   In reference to Message Id: 114187

I think the color really depends on the heat in the tank. My beardy’s change color at random. Sometimes dark, sometimes light.

08/05/04  12:22am
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: Blane   In reference to Message Id: 114187

Drache (my beardie, not me) is a yellow, but I don’t know the exact type of yellow. I’ve never seen his belly get any color other than creamy white (except for when he’s shedding, it’ll turn grey because it has a layer of dead skin over it). It’s still this color when he’s obviously very stressed (black beard, skittish, etc.) Both the 2 new ones, however, have had their bellies greyish white with black, crisscrossing designs, since I got them. I’ve had each for about a month now... they’re a female ember jemfire, and a male red sandfire. Their bellies haven’t changed, even when they seem perfectly calm. Does this mean anything?

08/05/04  12:25am
Sorry, No Replies

Sandfiredrake
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 114440

Color totally depends on heat of the tank or the temp of the environment that they are currently in. Just like when your beardie wants to soak up more sunlight, it turns darker, because heat is more readily drawn to darker objects. It sometimes has to do with their mood, but if you aren’t changing anything and are taking good care of your beardie, it shouldn’t do anything with the mood that they are in, because they are either always very happy, or atleast fine.
Btw - Blane, just from the type of conditions your beardie is in whenever his/her belly is dark, sounds like it is solely from temp.

sandfiredrake

08/05/04  12:31am
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: Sandfiredrake   In reference to Message Id: 114445

Their temps and such are almost identical. My oldest used to be in the same exact terrarium the younger one is in now, when he was growing up... same location and gear, and his belly was the same then. This is kinda confusing.

08/05/04  12:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Drache
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 114459

Well, the same as it is now, not the same as the younger one’s.

08/05/04  12:43am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Bearded Dragons-General Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area