Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Archive  Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum  Forums  Archives

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Pe   Rob   Pe   Jared   Pe   Jared   Pe   Eyespy   Jared   Eyespy   Jared   Eyespy  
 Member  Message

Pe
View Profile

Bearded Dragon Eggs

Can you tell which eggs are bad? Just figured I would post this so others can get an idea of good eggs and bad eggs.

PE

04/23/03  8:31am
Sorry, No Replies

Rob
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 2692

Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

My bearded dragon layed 19 eggs 18 days ago and none of them look like your bad ones, does that mean that they are all good?

05/01/03  1:21pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Rob   In reference to Message Id: 2847

Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

Congrats on the eggs. Its a good sign that none look like the 5 bad ones in the picture. I have had one that looked good and ended up never hatching after 100 days. Thats also just one photo and perspective of bad eggs. So there may be other indications of bad eggs.

PE

05/01/03  1:47pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jared
View Profile

Message To: Rob   In reference to Message Id: 2847

Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

How long does it take before you will know if your eggs are going to make it or not? Does it happen right away or does it take a while before showing signs of failing? This is my first clutch and am really nervous about it.

06/27/03  6:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Jared   In reference to Message Id: 4097

Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

Jared,

Sometimes you can tell right away like in the picture at the top. Five eggs went bad so I looked at the photo I took before putting them in the incubator and you can see how noticable they are, where they werent all that noticable at the time of scooping them all up. I have also had eggs that looked good and never hatched nor collapsed. The important thing is to be patient and watch the eggs for mold and stuff. I heard some people say once an egg gets mold its a sign of a bad egg, but I have had problems like that and the eggs still hatched. If the egg starts to collapse then try adding more humidity to the incubator, if it continues to collapse then its pretty much done.

Good luck with your eggs, keep us updated, and let us know if you have more questions.

be cool
PE

06/27/03  10:24pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jared
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 4105

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

My eggs are doing well i think. Its been 50 days since my dragon layed her clutch. How long does it take for them to hatch? She just layed another clutch yesterday and I still have the first clutch incubating. Any advice? I know the eggs are fertile because I was told to shine a pen light at them and I could see their tails moving. What do you think? I would send pictures of my eggs if I knew how.

08/08/03  7:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Pe
View Profile

Message To: Jared   In reference to Message Id: 5396

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

Not much longer now...figure with in two weeks...usually 60 days is a good estimate...so I would be keeping an eye on them now. Some do come early...I had some hatch at around 70 days. If you have buyers for all the dragons then start incubating them.

There will be a photo server for this site soon...Its like 99% complete already...so look for it soon.

PE

08/08/03  11:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Jared   In reference to Message Id: 5396

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

You won’t see motion in most cases until very soon before hatching, after the eggs have "dumped" their excess moisture and started collapsing or sweating. The babies are pretty well packed in there and don’t have much room to move. I don’t mean to scare you, but motion is sometimes a bad sign, there’s not enough yolk or white in the eggs and that’s why they have room to move. It could just be you jostled the eggs somewhat though and the whole shebang was jiggling around.

If you can see nice red veins inside the eggs that means they are fertile, and you can start watching for a dark spot at first, and then the embryo to slowly grow. You don’t want to be candling them all the time because it’s very stressful for the baby. Plus, you need to be sure you don’t turn the eggs, the top side must always stay facing up so you don’t detach the embryo from the inside of the eggshell and tear the umbilicus.

I check them right at first, after about 2 weeks, and then just let them lie until about 55-60 days after they were laid. Anywhere from 55-70 days is a normal incubation period but embryos can survive for up to 90 days and if temps were a bit low it can sometimes take that long.

08/08/03  11:57pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jared
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 5415

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

please define sweating. Is it moisture or a powdery substance? The eggs are starting to get a gritty tecture in small spots. It almost looks like really tiny bubbles but the egg is still smooth. The eggs alao have very faint lines going from one side of the egg to the other similar to a watermelon. I hope this makes sense. It is hard to explain what I want to say, but hopefully this makes sense.
Jared

08/10/03  12:31am
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Jared   In reference to Message Id: 5452

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

Sweating is when you get little drops of liquid, like condensation, right on the surface of a shell. It means the little dragon has used his egg tooth to slit the membrane that holds in the liquid, and so it’s starting to seep through the shell now.

That gritty texture you describe puzzles me a bit. It’s possible there is some mold growth on the eggs, or it’s also possible the mother didn’t have enough minerals like calcium, zinc and magnesium to put into her shells and so the eggs are a bit translucent.

08/10/03  1:18pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jared
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 5461

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

could that cause problems with hatching. I give my beardies plenty of calcium powder. What does mold on eggs look like? Is it green? Does it look like mold on food would look? The eggs to me look very healthy, but its my first clutch so I don’t really know what healthy looks like.

08/10/03  1:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: Jared   In reference to Message Id: 5462

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Bearded Dragon Eggs

There’s all different kinds of mold and so it comes in a range of sizes, shapes and colors. Most of the mold I’ve seen on herp eggs is either black or gray, but you can get green, yellow, orange, reddish-brown, whatever.

Mold will kill eggs but a light dusting of athlete’s foot powder will often kill the mold and save the eggs if it hasn’t bored its way through the shell yet.

Healthy eggs are smooth, slightly leathery in texture, white or off-white and a nice regular oval shape. They are firm to the touch, rather like fluid-filled gelatin capsules (like vitamin E capsules or bath oil beads) If they are lumpy and bumpy, off color, see-through, or soft they might not be any good. Healthy eggs will continue to get gradually bigger as the embryo grows. If the eggs stay small, chances are there’s nothing growing in there.

Whenever I have eggs that are questionable, I’ll transfer them to their own container but keep on incubating them. That way if they do go bad, any bacteria, fungi, or gases given off from rotting eggs won’t affect the good ones in separate containers. Sometimes the "bad" eggs have surprised me and hatched out perfectly healthy babies but many times they do prove to be duds.

08/10/03  5:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Archive  Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum  Forums  Archives