Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ginimals Rescue   Kambo  

Member  Message

Ginimals Rescue
View Profile

MY NEW BEARDIE ISNT EATING BY HIMSELF!!

I just got a six week old beardie on Saturday, November 19. I tried to feed him some crickets, baby superworms, and a little salad that consists of collards and carrots(chopped very finely). He ate about two or three crickets and maybe four superworms, and very little of his salad. I knew he should eat way more than this but hence it was the first day I thought maybe they had already fed him that day, so I didn’t worry too much. The next day I tried again and he may have eaten one cricket, but now nothing else. This continued into two more days. It was Tuesday now, and I was having to force feed him crickets and superworms(babys of course), that day I left because we went to a movie, when we got back I went upstairs to check on him, he was lying near the front glass/window of his tank and he had pooed about three times. They were quite large poos and I could tell they weren’t normal, they had nothing but pieces of cricket and superworm. I now fix him a purée that consists of collards, crickets dried mealies, and superworms. I know it may be the stress of moving to a new home, I don’t think that that would last this long! It is Friday now and he still won’t eat. I have been trying to force feed a variety of whole, live crickets and his purée. I also try to always have a salad and some superworms in dishes in his tank just incase. Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong and what I can do to fix it?

11/25/16  06:42am

Kambo
View Profile

Message To: Ginimals Rescue   In reference to Message Id: 2319805

MY NEW BEARDIE ISNT EATING BY HIMSELF!!

First off let me state that I am no where near an expert. The advice I am about to give comes from my best guess as a dragon keeper. I have never had an issue with my dragons not eating for long. But when they go off their food for a few days it’s because they have a big poo inside them. You said your little one already pooed three times. Maybe he’s impacted. Have you tried giving him warm baths? Just soak him for a little while in shallow, warm water. It should encourage bowel movement. Give him a very gentle belly rub to aid this.

If that doesn’t have any effect, I’d maybe consider that he is trying to go through brumation? Is he active or does he always seem to want to sleep? Bearded dragons will stop eating when they want to brumate. I recommend doing research on brumation. Make sure that he poops again before letting him brumate though, as the food you’ve force fed him can sit in his stomach and rot while he brumates.

The last issue I’d like to address is you force feeding him. With a young dragon, you have to be careful not to hurt them. I don’t know how you’re accomplishing this force feeding, but I’m a bit concerned. Please be gentle. Especially with his jaw. If you break it, his eating troubles are going to be far worse.

Best of luck. Please remember that my advice is my best guess. It does come from experience in keeping these animals but I’m no where near an expert.

02/04/17  07:00am

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area