Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Shepdawg   Takahiro111   Dragon Lover   Boxers4life  

Member  Message

Shepdawg
View Profile

Male Beardie laying eggs

My MALE Beardie,Thorn last month started acting strange,scratching at his sand in his cage,the mulch outside,stopped eating,so I took him to a very well respected vet of exotic animals who has been my vet for the past 5 years now.He ran the Columbus Zoo’s exotic Dept in Ohio for years,so I trust his judgement without question.So after taking blood samples,stool samples we found nothing wrong,but put him on antibiotics as a precaution.I also wrapped Thorn in a soft towel at night and laid him on my bed beside my pillow just in case anything happened.(he’s part of the family ya’know)? Anyway,one night at 11:15 I felt something on my arm and thought he pooed but without "THE SMELL". You guys know!! I turned on the light and to my amazement there lay 6 eggs with more coming!!! 22 total!! I have pics.I woke my girlfriend up and she couldn’t believe it!! After this he was ravenous until today where this morning,he’s starting to scratch AGAIN!! He’s pretty fat and not eating(again). I am making an appointment with the vet this week to make sure that he’s pregnant again.So,Beardies can be both male and female and to my knowledge,like Leopard Gecko’s DO NOT NEED to be impregnated to have eggs! Any input,because "SEQUENTIAL HERMAPHRODITISM" happens in a lot of reptiles and I’d like to know I’m not the only one who has gone through this!! Thank you all!!

07/28/13  09:31am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Shepdawg   In reference to Message Id: 2299986

Male Beardie laying eggs

Wow a male laying eggs that’s surprising for me to hear how’s he doing now?Now you got an even bigger family!

07/28/13  11:16am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2299987

Male Beardie laying eggs

Hi,

It’s never happened to me, but I do have a friend whose beardie is a hermaphrodite. So, it is possible.

The vet sexed the beardie?

Edel

08/03/13  07:48pm

Boxers4life
View Profile

Message To: Shepdawg   In reference to Message Id: 2299986

Male Beardie laying eggs

You have a female. Yes they can lay eggs without a male but it is not because they have both male and female parts. They are infertile. Just toss them out. I bred and raised them for years, to make fertile eggs you must have both. She may look male but it is a female. My first "male" did the same thing. Got it tested and yes it was a female. Just had really big pores and a huge head and beard. You do have a female.

09/28/13  10:57am

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area