Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

OnTheFence   Dragon Lover   OnTheFence   Lizardman24   OnTheFence   Dragon Lover   Lizardman24   OnTheFence   OnTheFence   Dragon Lover   Lizardman24   OnTheFence   OnTheFence  

Member  Message

OnTheFence
View Profile

Distressed Beardie Hatchling

I’ve hatched several healthy, adorable clutches of beardies from my pair, (Hansel & Gretel). Eleven from the most recent clutch hatched within hours of one another and are perfectly fine. They’re eating/pooping, running around and love being held.

One of the three remaining eggs hatched about 5 days ago and appears to have serious problems. Poor little guy looks fine until he tries to move. He frequently runs in circles or flips over backwards and has serious coordination problems. He has a dark line up his tummy that I’m concerned might be a weak spot. He loves hanging out in his water dish but hasn’t eaten yet and I’m afraid to force feed him.

I already love the little guy and want to help him survive, but don’t know how to get him to eat, (he’s afraid of the tiny crickets and Repti-Worms I’ve given him). I plan on trying baby food tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Concerned Mother

07/17/12  12:19am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: OnTheFence   In reference to Message Id: 2273657

Hi,

A lot of hatchlings are scared of the crickets. He will eventually realize they are food and start eating. Flipping over backwards and running in circles usually means there is something neurologically wrong with him....he may not eat at all. Unfortunately, the only thing to do is wait and see what happens. Hopefully I’m wrong, but I’ve seen it quite a few times. You can try the baby food.....just put some on the tip of a spoon and place some on his snout. He will soon want to clean it off and when he starts licking, place the spoon with more food on the tip right in front of him.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Here’s hoping that he’ll pull through.

Edel

07/17/12  11:30am

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2273702

Thank you so much! I suspected neuralgic deformity as well. He does have other minor cosmetic deformities, (missing one finger and the stripes on his tail don’t line up).

He licked a little baby food off of his nose this evening. I’m afraid it wasn’t enough to sustain him though so hope he’ll eat a little more tomorrow. He seems really feisty and perks up when I come home so that gives me hope. I’ll just keep him warm and hydrated, try to feed him and see what comes.

Deborah

07/18/12  01:22am

Lizardman24
View Profile

Message To: OnTheFence   In reference to Message Id: 2273772

my leopard gecko does this. she runs in circles andsometimes flips over when she walks. however she eats fine, but her aim is a little off. i think i remember seeing little mealworms or something. what i did when i first got her was filled up one of those mealworm dishes with small mealworms and kindof holding it in front of her face on an angle so all she saw was the dish and mealworms. good luck!

07/18/12  09:47pm

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Lizardman24   In reference to Message Id: 2273873

That’s really good to hear! I’ll see if I can find some tiny meal worms. How old is your gecko?

The little guy is still running about, loves being held and has taken about 6 drops of baby food from my finger. I’m mixing chicken, applesauce/banana w/calcium powder. I also have tiny ReptiWorms for his siblings so will continue tying to get him to eat at least one. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

07/18/12  11:31pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: OnTheFence   In reference to Message Id: 2273892

No meal worms for bearded dragons. Too high in chiting. How about some silk worms....order from mulberry farms . com. mediums will be small enough for a baby.

07/18/12  11:37pm

Lizardman24
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2273896

my leo is around 2 or 3 years old. yeah sorry about that. i forgot about the mealworm thing for bearded dragons. i wouldnt suggest it as a staple, but if it starts losing weight you could give it a small waxworm or so to get it to fatten p a little. check with edel first. also if you want to get a little gory, you can take a leg or two of the cricket so it wont be able to jump, and put that in the bowl. just remember once you find a way to get it to eat, it will live fine with just a little extra care. good luck!

07/19/12  04:40pm

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2273896

Thanks again! I haven’t tried silk worms yet; I’ll visit the mullberry farms website and give them a try. I also hadn’t heard of chiting, so will have to look that up as well.

He’s still not taking bugs, but has pooped. Assume that’s a good sign. There was a darkish bit of urea and the rest looked like he’s snacking on his lettuce while we’re not looking. I held a tiny black soldier fly larvae in front of his face and he showed minimal interest. I’ll keep him on baby food and continue trying to introduce bugs.

Thanks again for your great advice!

07/20/12  12:25am

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Lizardman24   In reference to Message Id: 2273955

2-3 years is great! I’m pleasantly surprised when I get home from work and my little guy’s still kicking it. No problem about the mealworms. We’re all here to learn.

I like your idea of taking the legs off of the crickets. He still doesn’t seem interested in bugs but that will certainly give him a fighting chance when he develops his bugapitite. Until then, it’s baby food and Romaine.

Thanks again for your advise and concern.

07/20/12  12:38am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: OnTheFence   In reference to Message Id: 2274011

Glad to hear he’s hanging on.

Since he is still not eating bugs, I would definitely try the wax worm like Lizardman suggested. Also, they have phoenix worms out there and you can order from mulberry as well. These are little, high in calcium, and wiggle a lot. Usually captures the dragon’s attention qutie quickly.

I would suggest changing the greens just a bit.....mix the romaine with some mustard greens, collard greens, endive, escarole. Add some shredded butternut squash or banana squash......bite size pieces on all these of course.

Edel

07/20/12  11:38am

Lizardman24
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2274030

ihave just one more tip. if you find he really isnt able to find the food, you may want to put him in a smaller enclosure for a little bit until he gets better at finding it

07/20/12  04:12pm

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2274030

Once again, I can’t thank you enough for the great advice. Just jumped on Mullbery’s website and ordered both silk and pheonix worms for little Stevie and his siblings. Great prices! I will definitely add the greens you recommended to all of my beardies’ diets. They’re a little green-finicky so hope they’ll find something in the mix that they like.

Thanks again!

07/20/12  11:38pm

OnTheFence
View Profile

Message To: Lizardman24   In reference to Message Id: 2274058

Thanks again! Putting him in a smaller enclosure might solve another problem I have. Fifteen more eggs hatched today... I have him isolated from the rest of his clutch in my new hatchling habitat. I might be able to put him in a small carrier inside the habitat, as long as he doesn’t get too warm. The company might do him some good as well. I’ll continue to keep him isolated though for his own protection.

07/20/12  11:47pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area