Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Kelijp   Kelijp   Dragon Lover   Kelijp  

Member  Message

Kelijp
View Profile

Is it time?

My female is def gravid but since this is a first for me I’m not sure if its time to put her in the lay box. She has been very restless and not wanting to be handled (she is normally my calmer one) digging a little and scratching on the glass. now that i put her in her lay box she is constant scratching on the glass like she is trying to get out. She can see her normal tank and that is where she is scratching (kinda like she wants to go back) Should i put her back in her tank or leave her be in the laybox?

My male is also eating more than usual and digging! they have always been housed together and he is laying next to the tank where she is. Do they actually form attachments to each other? Because I think they LOVE each other! :)

Because they are housed together they showed mating behavior for almost two weeks! But i can see and feel eggs but only recently (couple days) So IS IT TIME?

04/12/12  09:52am

Kelijp
View Profile

Message To: Kelijp   In reference to Message Id: 2262461

Is it time?

Just to clarify... this was an accident! It sucks but its the truth. We are in the process of getting another tank for the male to avoid this in the future. She is about 2 and he is only about 9 months. This is why they where housed together...we were told he wouldnt breed till much later. Either way i wanted to avoid the criticism, I know, BIG OOPS! We are looking into having a local breeder take our eggs because we also know we cant take on that responsiblility. Just looking for advice on getting her to lay and be happy, healthy.

04/12/12  10:08am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Kelijp   In reference to Message Id: 2262463

Is it time?

Hi,

Once she starts digging in the lay box just leave her there....if by night she has not layed her eggs, go ahead and give her a bath and move her back to the enclosure. Place her in the lay box again in the am. Sometimes they will dig for a week or two before they actually lay.

No, they do not form attachments and they do not love each other. They are merely used to each other...but in any given moment he, or she, could turn and you could have a messy situation. I have tried many times to house two females together, even when they were housed together since hatching time, there have been confrontations and if I had not been there to witness it and stop it ... and separate them... someone would have gotten really hurt. Yes, there are people that have had success in housing two or more females together, but why take the chance.

Bearded Dragons can and will breed as early as 5 months old, whether male or female, so it is best to keep them separate from the beginning. But you know, things happen and a lot of times we are told things that are not correct by people that we think are knowledgeable. We try not to criticise but to help the best we can.....after all, we were all beginners and we have all had to learn as well. So, please, don’t worry about that and do come back and ask if you do have any other questions. The beardie general forum is a bit more busy than the breeding forum, so you may find that your threads may be answered a bit quicker there.

Hope this helps.

Edel

04/15/12  05:08pm

Kelijp
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2262801

Is it time?

thanks, she is still digging in her normal enclosure and i have been putting her in her laybox. she wants nothing to do with it. I started out with just moist topsoil for a few days and today i added sand mixed in. she only digs in her sand in the enclosure. Maybe it’s just not time? i’ll stick with it! And i have moved her because my male now wont leave her alone. As soon as she was taken out and put back he started bobbing ALOT! pretty much on top of her. So It’s a new setup for her. and hopefully they will both be happy.

04/17/12  09:32am

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area