Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Phillipvh   Newmanjtkd11   Phillipvh   May92   Phillipvh   Mich_01  

Member  Message

Phillipvh
View Profile

Incubation

Hi, im using a new incubator, its about 2x1ft with lid that seals. Inside a glass tank enclosed by styrene.put in a 100w aqua heater submerged it in about 15cm of water. My tubs as follows;
A: 1 with vemiculite not wet mixed correctly no holes in tub with closed lid
B: 1 with vermiculite not wet mixed correctly 3 small holes in lid ( clised lid)
C: 1 with vermiculite not wet with tub holes on sides lid closed

My problems is that i lost 70 percent of eggs in all containers. Temps are 28,5 to 30.1 constant. Humidity 70-85

Eggs turning yellow and then yellow/red
First ones turned green
Still some left thats white and not dented looking good

Suggestions pls!

01/23/12  08:20am

Newmanjtkd11
View Profile

Message To: Phillipvh   In reference to Message Id: 2252379

Incubation

I honestly don’t have any advice. I need help myself. My beardie Lastat just laid eggs. I was not expecting or prepared. I took the eggs out her cage, them filed a plasic container with potting soil. and with the eggs in it, covered it with foil paper tightly. I added a little water to the soil for humidity. I have them under a heat lamp now.... I’m trying to think what to do.....

01/23/12  11:58pm

Phillipvh
View Profile

Incubation

Eventually modified the incubator to decrease humidity. Hatchlings at long last!!

02/10/12  11:33am

May92
View Profile

Message To: Phillipvh   In reference to Message Id: 2254656

Incubation

If you have hatchlings, we demand PICTURES! :)

02/10/12  12:32pm

Phillipvh
View Profile

Message To: May92   In reference to Message Id: 2254664

Incubation

I will soon as i get to a pc, cant upload via ipad dont know why. Awfully gorgeous little guys though!!

02/11/12  08:25am

Mich_01
View Profile

Incubation

If your eggs turned yellow they may not have been fertile, and if thats the case after about 2 weeks they’ll all go yellow, cave in and mold.

As far as homemade incubators I’ve had great sucess and have saved the info in a word doc as I am asked for it frequently. I will paste it below for you.

Homemade Incubator

I have a large shallow plastic tote (wal-mart $10) that I use. I them put a brick in the bottom, one for each egg container I want to hold. I fill the tote with water just enough to come up to the bottom of the bricks. I then use an aquarium heater (needs to be a good submersible one that allows for a high temp range, $40) and lay it in the water on it’s side. The egg container are just sandwich containers, you don’t need any holes or anything drilled in them. For the egg bedding I use vermiculite ($6 for a LARGE bag at any garden center, I get mine at Home Depot). You need to wet the vermiculite just enough that it is damp, not wet (if squeezed hard you shouldn’t be able to ring out any water).

Put a one inch layer in the bottom of the sandwich container and bury your eggs ¾ of the way leaving the tops exposed so you can check on them and see if any have gone bad. Set the heater temp around 80 and you will need to keep coming back ever hour to tweek it either up or down, you can choose the sex of your hatchlings based on the temperature you incubate them at (79-82 degrees for females, 87-88 degrees for males, middle temps will give you a mix). For $9 you can get a digital thermometer at Canadian Tire, stick the gage end in your eggs container and close the lid tight on 3 sides but leave one corner not fully snapped down, so if condensation builds up on the lid it will run down the side and not drip on your eggs and you won’t kink your thermometer cord. You can place hygrometers in one or two of your egg containers as well to measure humidity (around 70-80% give or take). If it’s too dry spray water on the inside walls of your egg container, not on the eggs themselves. Put the lid on your incubator and only open it to check your eggs once or twice a week to make sure they are all healthy and remove any rotten ones. This also allows for a fresh air to get into your egg container which is all they need.

After you eggs have been incubating for a week or two you should be able to use a pen light flash light to “candle” them, by then you usually see little pink veins and after a few more weeks the eggs will glow entirely pink and are well on their way!!

Lid open, egg containers

03/30/12  09:30pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area