Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Froggfreak   ArielW   Retile_expert  
 Member  Message

Froggfreak
View Profile

Gravid Female having troubles laying

My female Sumeira has been in her laybox for about a week now. She has tried to lay her eggs 2 or 3 times now. Each time, either the soil collapses on her or she digs in a spot she doesn’t like. Ive seen two of the three "caves" she has dug. I was convinced she was going to have luck with the second one.. The first time I saw it, she was sitting outside of it with her face about 3 inches away from the entrance. I came back an hour later, the site was still open, and she was on top of it basking. Shes just having such bad luck. I took some tinfoil and lined the top side of the tub with the light with it, so that the shiny side was relfecting as much light/heat as it could down into the laybox. I was wondering if I could push the soil to the sides and create a cave that wont collapse on her. About 6 inches wide by 4 inches tall. I would push the soil to the sides to make the shape of the cave, and then put a piece of flat wood on top, and then more soil on top of the wood, and then cover the hole so that if she digs into it t here is a cave ready for her that will not collapse on her. Would this work? or would it be an unnatural process? Should I try this if there are no eggs when I get home today?

04/05/11  04:09pm

ArielW
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 2213058

Unless she is showing signs of distress or pain, you should probably just let nature take its course. It’s also probably a good idea to change your substrate to something a bit more stable, or maybe dampen it to make it a bit stiffer.

Good luck with the little darling.(:

04/08/11  07:01pm

Retile_expert
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 2213058

I recommend using Vermulite as the substrate. You need to dampin it so it can stay in a ball when you sqeeze it together but you don’t want water dripping from it. It worked great for my beardies.

04/19/11  06:39pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area