Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Froggfreak   Voguestar   Froggfreak   Froggfreak   Voguestar   Froggfreak   Froggfreak   Gizzard- breeder   Anecaj01  

Member  Message

Froggfreak
View Profile

HELP! Worried about Gravid female!

My female has been gravid for about a month now. Unfortunately I have been unable to provide a laybox, and I will be unable to provide an incubator. At this point, my biggest concern is just to get my beardie to lay her eggs so she doesn’t die. I do plan on breeding, but not for a few years. 16 is not the age to breed at. I’ve heard a lot about different substrates for layboxes. I am wondering, if I don’t intend to keep this clutch of eggs, does the substrate HAVE to be from a bag? I can’t get potting soil without chemicals at the moment, and I can’t wait any longer. My female scratches in her cage all the time, and she spends a lot of her time in the bottom level of the enclosure, which has no lighting. I’m really worried about her, she’s so cute. She has a brilliant personality, especially when she’s in her outdoor enclosure. Would I be able to use soil from outside, provided it were fertile, fluffy, and moist enough to form a mound?

03/29/11  04:32pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 2212003

Yes you can use play sand. I would say that as long as there are no chemicals in the soil it should be fine. Also Iam not too sure outside soil would be good, due the fact that there might be small bugs or pests in it. I used potting soil the last time my female laid and it worked great. The key is to make it moist but not wet, so if you squeeze a clump of it in your hand it should not drip water. I would get a storage bin and fill it with the soil or whatever and place her in it, as soon as you can!! For warmth you can clamp a heat light on to the side. If she does not lay within the first couple hours of being in there you can place her back in her enclosure [for the night] and try again the next day. However once she starts laying her eggs, leave her in the box until she is done digging and has covered her eggs. After she is done laying the eggs you can give her a nice warm bath to help re-hydrate her.
Breeding is very simple! >But to do it right and properly it will be expensive and require extensive knowledge.
Sometimes things just happen and its easy to forget what we need, and need to do. Just do not forget when you own an animal you are its only provider, and it cannot live properly without your help. No one likes to know or see a life suffering. I hope next time you decide to breed you will be prepared, for her sake. Hope she is doing okay and let us know.

03/29/11  09:05pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2212058

Im not keeping these eggs, Im not allowed. I wouldnt be able to provide for them when they hatched, or while they are incubating. Ive known what to do now the entire time she has been gravid, I am just incapable of doing things due to financial reasons and my moms lack of caring for my lizards. My female was gravid when I got her, I could only wait. I am not asking for ideal conditions to produce healthy offspring, I am just concerned about keeping my female alive. I know if she doesnt lay her eggs, she will die. The eggs will be frozen within minutes after laying is complete. Can I actually not use soil from outside just to get her to lay? Even if I did let these eggs hatch, they would be unfortunate. The previous owner’s of my beardies had no idea what they were doing with them, and they were quite unhealthy when I got them.

03/29/11  09:26pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2212058

Quote:

No one likes to know or see a life suffering. I hope next time you decide to breed you will be prepared, for her sake

I did not decide to breed. I recieved a gravid female in poor health in hopes to help her live a relativley long and happy life. When I got my beardies, they were together in one cage, a homemade one. Much too small for two beardies. There were no visual barriers, and the female was just tossed around all the time. The male didnt even let her eat. I seperated them as soon as I could. I am getting a 72 x 18 x 14 tank, divided into two 36 x 18 eclosures. I use ExoTerra 75 watt tight beams for heat, and 60 watt house bulbs for additional light. I dont have a UVB bulb at the moment, just the fixture. I do take my beardies outside for an hour or so a few times a week though. I will be getting a UVB bulb, the ReptiGlo 10.0, not the Reptisun 10.0 as it is not availabe at in any stores locally. My fixture is only large enough to cover 18 inches of each enclosure. Even with a UVB bulb, I plan on giving my beardies plenty of natural sunlight in the summer and spring, and even some days in the fall.

03/30/11  01:48pm

Voguestar
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 2212194

You could use soil from outside, sure ... heck you could use kitty litter... would I recommend either... Nope sure wouldn’t! I stated why outside soil might not be good, if you dont understand why than I am sorry.
Iam glad you clarified that,> you obtained a gravid female and did not breed her yourself. Regardless of how she became gravid she is. Now I do believe you took on this responsibility - all your own when you decided to take her in... did you not? Hence when you took in

Quote:

a gravid female in poor health

, you should have been prepared for her needs. Iam glad you decided to help these reptiles in need, however if you cannot adequately provide for them than maybe you’ve done more harm than good. You cant help others if you cant help yourself.

Quote:

I am just incapable of doing things due to financial reasons and my moms lack of caring for my lizards.

On a side note. In my personal experience REPTI GLO -brand -lights have had ill effects on my bearded dragons and others. Perhaps they’ve have changed their lights for the better by now, but just something to think about.

03/30/11  05:14pm

Froggfreak
View Profile

Message To: Voguestar   In reference to Message Id: 2212229

I have the knowledge to take care of bearded dragons. And I have the commitment. My parents dont believe the things I tell them. If I said that a dragon needed UVB light to synergize calcium and D3, they’d say I made it up for money. If I told them we couldn’t use compact UVB bulbs because of UVC rays, they would say UVC doesnt exist

03/31/11  12:39am

Froggfreak
View Profile

I was unaware the female was gravid until a few weeks after I recieved her. Im sorry if I sounded ignorant or rude, Im just worried about her. I made a laybox for her last night, but she didn’t lay. A friend of mine had some extra untreated potting soil. I put her in again this morning. I hope theres eggs in there when I get home today !

P.s I know your supposed to have a heat lamp clamped on over the laybox, or some form of light and/or heat. Neither of my lamps have clamps though. I am using just a regular house lamp leaned up against the side so that that 60 watt house bulb is a few inches above and in the box. It is secured so that it may not fall. I put a towel on the other half of the laybox as a lid, as I decided I might use this box for something else. Its a 68 litre rubbermaid tub. 40 x 25 x 18

03/31/11  12:23pm

Gizzard- breeder
View Profile

hey there, i do hope by the time you have received this message you have been able to come up with a solution to your problem however if not in a sec i will try and provide you with some info that i have found has been remarkably simple and effective.

however before i do so, can i say that i am very shocked to have signed up to this forum so people with a common passion to find some very small minded and simply ignorant people replying to your obvious cry for help. i would just like to say that another member commented that you should have prepared for your arrival of dragons and therefore you taking them out of the bad situation they were in, has now some how inflicted on there lives to make it worse and if you cant help yourself then don’t try helping others.
sweetie don’t take notice of people like this, you have absolutely 100% truly done what you believed and myself and probably many others and tried to do the right thing by these precious reptiles by bringing them into a safe environment, in which you know that no physical injury will be inflicted upon them while in your care, that is under your control. small hand made cages were not under your control, a gravid female was not under your control. Helping an reptile or animal who cant help itself is an unselfish, kind , loving thing to do by an obviously caring individual who should be proud of themselves, not penalized when reaching out for advise.

however now that you have the dragons safely in your care you now have some options to ensure that they have a long enjoyable life that IS under your control and you may not like them all.
the sad fact is that bearded dragons are not cheap, if you have any doubt in your mind about being able to financially support their housing and dietary needs then, you really need to find your nearest animal rescue center and either ask for support or to donate the lizards with the hope that they will be re-homed by someone more familiar with the species and expenses, unfortunately love alone aint going to cut it.

either way back to the task in hand, if your gravid female has not yet laid her eggs and you still need to build a nest here is what i do and its brilliant, my gravid’s have responded very well to this nest compared to prior nest i had tried-

firstly get yourself down Argos - they sell a 10kg bag of moist children’s play sand £2.99(perfect non toxic substrate) also the moisture is perfect as it allows the lizard to dig and form a tunnel with ease

next i use a builders soft large round bucket (new/unused by any builders lol) but if you don’t have one of these available just find the largest bucket/ big round container available

fill the bucket with the entire bag of sand if possible, then and this part is vitally important make sure you compress the sand as much as possible either with your hands but if the bucket is big enough get in there and tread that sand down, this is because the first time i used this bucket technique i did not compress the sand and il tell you what happened a bit later on. my gravid female gizzard is usually a very fussy layer and on most occasions will snub my nest and will try and find/dig her own, until the point that she has no choice but to dig and lay in the nest i originally provided. (hence the trials of different techniques) but the bucket came about because frankly it was tiring listening and watching my poor gizzard running around her viv refusing to lay in her box so i thought if i take her out the viv and put her into one huge nest then eventually she will do the only thing she can do and that is dig.

so basically i filled the bucket with sand and placed a heat mat at the bottom to heat up the sand slightly making the sand a more desirable temp for giz to lay her eggs, and then finally dug up a tiny part of the edge to get her going and placed her in the bucket

OK honestly i couldn’t believe it myself but trust me it did happen, she immediately started to dig but not like she had done in previous lays. gizzard wasn’t digging a hole, the clever lil liz was digging and building a tunnel :) obviously i never even knew they did this so it makes sense that she didn’t like my nest because they were never big enough to preform the task and this is where the story of the vital important part of compressing the sand comes in. The first time i used this technique i did not compress the sand and therefore while my lil liz was digging her tunnel the sand was so loose that the tunnel collapsed when she was already around 4 or 5cm under the sand. I always watch my lizards lay their eggs to ensure everything is OK, but please if you used this technique then DON’T leave your lizard unattended, if i was not watching then gizzard would have certainly suffocated.

even so gizzard recovered pretty quick cos within seconds there she was digging a new tunnel (after i compressed the sand this time of course)

once your beardie is finished she will be tiny and look very saggy, undernourished and frankly a little worse for ware, dont worry this is normal just make sure you feed her very well in the coming weeks and ensure you are attending to her vitamin and mineral needs.

if you do not want to keep the eggs there is a couple of things you can consider
1. look in forums and chat room because alot of people will come and take the eggs of your hands and incubate them for you
2. or if you want a hassle free solution then please do not just throw them with the rubbish, waste land fills are the warm and moist and can provide the perfect conditions for incubation of the eggs and we cant have them running around the tip. therefore please as harsh as it sound freeze the eggs and pierce to ensure the development of the fetus is depleted.

also if you have not already been told then prepare yourself because bearded dragons can store sperm,this means that they only need to be mated once (sex once) to produce up to 8 pregnancies and each pregnancy has the potential to produce up to 42 eggs, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh i know!!! if this is your gravid’s first pregnancy your defo up for seconds soon. my gizzard is on her 4th consecutive lay this year and she is laying eggs quicker than i am able to incubate her last load.

let us no how it goes and good for you for atleast trying to save them without you THEY WOULDNT BE WORSE OFF, THEY WOULD BE IN THE EXACT SAME egghead SITUATION !!!!!

06/14/11  02:27am

Anecaj01
View Profile

Message To: Froggfreak   In reference to Message Id: 2212345

just saw your message. hopefully you did NOT listen to Voguestar. there was much nonsense in all those words and very little if any help. reptile people tend to be eccentric and many are bullies and experts in their own minds. if it is not rooted in freedom, don’t receive it. my daughter is 16 and hatching the 1st clutch of a very young female and the learning process is fantastic. hopefully you received the help you needed and have realized how NOT to be to others. hopefully you have had several successful clutches and even made a profit. reptile stores should be happy for clutches which can be moved w/in a 1/2 day or so easily

03/08/15  07:06pm

Back to Bearded Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area