Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nwrider   Eris   Nwrider   Eris  

Member  Message

Nwrider
View Profile

Baby beardie appetite

Hi all I just acquired a bearded dragon somewhat randomly, I have experience with Leo’s and bias but have never really cared for one of these. Thermometer in the middle towards cool end (poor placement in my part) reads 80F and humidity is around 20% in a ten gallon tank. I have a uva/uvb light and a heat lamp and a night heat lamp to keep it around 70F.

Anyway I’ve had it for three days it defecates a small amount about once a day, I read to offer them insects three times in a day along with vegetation (I’m using spinach) in a bowl. Yesterday it ate three crickets and a bite of spinach and since then hasn’t really eaten anything. I know they are tiny and have small stomachs so I imagine it may still be full since it isn’t showing signs of impaction.

I dust the insects with D3.

The animal overall is alert and mobile no obvious external abnormalities to my eyes. My question is is this abnormal eating or is it stress, satiety. thanks in advance

03/15/17  05:28pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Nwrider   In reference to Message Id: 2320455

Baby beardie appetite

Hello! He surely could be having some stress from a new home and may take a bit to settle in, then his appetite should improve. Its a good sign that he did eat for you and is passing stools. I’d continue to offer him food several times a day along with the greens. Vary the greens (collared greens, squash, berries, mustard greens, ect...) and insects, that may also help simulate his feeding. Also might want to check the temps for his basking area to ensure that it is hot enough for proper digestion. Give him some time and if his appetite does not improve then consult a vet.

03/16/17  09:05am

Nwrider
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2320457

Baby beardie appetite

Thank you for the reply, one more question I have is that I’ve been clearing out the furniture in the enclosure for feeding to prevent the crickets from hiding in there is this ok to do or is it just adding to the stress?

03/16/17  05:25pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Nwrider   In reference to Message Id: 2320458

Baby beardie appetite

That is hard to say, I would imagine that if you place it back in the same spot and he seems to be eating when you take the furniture out, then I’d say its probably okay. However if your worried I’d say try a glass feeding dish. I just picked up a small glazed flower pot saucer from Home depot (what goes under to catch draining water). It’s shallow enough for my guys to walk into and see into, yet the crickets cannot climb out (they can jump out though).

03/19/17  07:48pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area