Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bender_the_dragon   Cphill58   Cphill58   Bender_the_dragon   Cphill58   Bender_the_dragon   Cphill58   Daedae26   Cphill58   Dragontears  

Member  Message

Bender_the_dragon
View Profile

Questions

Hello ! My name is Gabrielle ! I recently adopted an adult bearded dragon . I do not know how old he is .It’s been a week or so since I rescued him ! When he got home I was so worried about him . He’s a little on the skinny side . Well .. He’s not really skinny , I’d like him to be chunkier though . BTW , THIS IS MY FIRST REPTILE . I’ve done my reaserch day by day . He was showing signs of a calcium def. when he came home . He had head twitches . Since the day I brought him home , I’ve brought him out side in the sun every day , twice a day . I live at the bottom of ms , so it gets really hot here . He’s been eating ! Im not sure if he eats enough ! I haven’t noticed anymore head twitches . The set up I received is terrible . His uvb/uva like is a zilla coil light ! It tiny compared to his 59 gal tank ! I ordered a 24 in reptisun 10.0 and bough a fluorescent light fixture from lowes . His basking point stays at 95-100 ! I give him A bath everyday , along with spraying him ! The only time I’ve seen him drink water is in the tub when I bathe him ! And the first day he gulped so much down that he spit it up and coughed . It was scary . The first day he came home he had a seminal plug hanging out his vent , which I didn’t know what it was at the time . So I got on my phone and started researching what it could be . Well I found it was a seminal plug and soaked him and it came out ! Also when he came home he had impaction (reason for me giving him a bath everyday ) . How often should they poop . ANYWAY , I have a couple questions . Can beardies hiss with their mouth closed . What’s the best insect for them to eat? Every time I go to put my hand in his tank , well often , his beard turn black and he breaths really heavy . When I tank him out his color brighten up , no black beard and he looks happy . Is this normal ?

10/16/15  10:13am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bender_the_dragon   In reference to Message Id: 2315246

Questions

Your doing a surprisingly good job ... you are researching and nailing it !! Congrats

No they cant hiss without opening the mouth ... the beard gets black during times of being frightened... like when you reach in from the top... but then he settles down after and goes back to normal. The other time they black beard is when displaying defensive behavior and sexual mating behavior .... and lastly when they are in pain for long periods of time the beard will be black all day and night ...usually when they are sick.

the 24" resptisun 10.0 will help immensely however if you want the best a mercury vapor lamp that produces heat and UVB is superior to the tube lamps

I recommend you visit this site and read as much ads you can ... look at the Products section and see the
" self ballasted mercury vapor lamps for the USA 120 v
They offer 70 watt 100 watt and 160 watt which is perfect depending on the distance from the dragon to the lamp

Reptile UV

Also, here is a great website for the bearded dragon ...read it and see the FOOD CHART under the nutrition tab
Beautiful Dragons

Ok if you need more info just ask

10/18/15  01:46pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bender_the_dragon   In reference to Message Id: 2315246

Questions

I forgot to mention ... you can feed them roaches ... look up Dubia and discoid ...they are really easy to raise and they don’t fly or jump out of the container. grasshoppers are good .... crickets are ok worms and such ... moderation and balance is key

Try not to feed any insects that are exposed to insecticides. Dying sick insects in the wild are usually from poison or pest control measures. small young mice are great 1 or 2x a month.

Cooked chicken breasts or scrambled eggs are great protein... small portions that are easily consumed are fine... if he is hesitant to eat it ... move it around like you were teasing a cat
calcium 2 or 3x a week is fine ... vitamins 1x per week only

Try to avoid calcium with D3... get the calcium without D3....
Hypo = too little
hyper = too much
read about it here

hypercalcemia

10/18/15  01:55pm

Bender_the_dragon
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315290

Questions

Thanks a lot for the info . I’m trying my best to keep bender happy . He seems to be doing great . I can use any information I can get from people who have had experience with beardies before . I finally got him to eat collards greens for the first time . It’s weird though . I have to bring him outside for him to even be interested in his greens . Lol . He is sooooo picky and I believe becoming super spoiled . The reason I asked if they can hiss with their mouth closed is bc sometime when he gets excited or nervous he breaths really heavy and I can hear him breath . It does not sound like any congestion .. To me . It’s just when he exhales. It’s only when he gets nervous or excited . It’s almost like a hissing sound .Is this normal ? I’ve been looking into getting some dubias . They’re pricey little boogers lol .

10/20/15  01:32pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bender_the_dragon   In reference to Message Id: 2315300

Questions

Regarding the "interested only when outside"
The fixture you purchased from Lowes...is that a dual tube fixture.
I ask because if the dragon doesn’t get any other light except UVB and heat / basking lamp he might not recognize the good food you are offering

Look at the kelvin scale ...google it
kelvin scale

Go to the Lowes or Home Depot and buy a 5000- 5500 K tube lamp to simulate daylight in the enclosure. ( daylight ) tube for about 8.00

That will allow the dragon to see colors correctly and recognize his food and surroundings properly

we raise our own dubias... once they get started they are a never ending supply and they are literal garbage disposals for leftover safe food items.

reptile 5500k

roaches

New York worms has them for sale

Also look at all the Youtube videos about raising dubia and discoid roaches

Need more info about the way light works ...become an expert after you read this lengthy site
UV and Light

10/22/15  01:06am

Bender_the_dragon
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315328

Questions

Thank you so much for the info. Again, I can use any little piece of information that I can get. That sounds about right with the whole ( interested when outside) . I’ve been looking into ordering Dubia roaches. Is New York worms were you get yours from? I’ve recently seen them on Amazon and saw their prices with their hornworms and they’re dubias. The crickets are just crazy stinky and the The crickets are just crazy stinky . And I’ve only had my Dragon for a bout two weeks now. The damn crickets are already all over the house. I know that I have to feed my Dragon at least a few crickets but I would rather use dubias more often than crickets ! How long does it usually tank for the dubias to reproduce ?

10/22/15  05:36pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bender_the_dragon   In reference to Message Id: 2315335

Questions

Sorry for the delay in response ...grueling work week Not enough of a week end.

Actually a friend gave me about 30 or more roaches ...i placed them in a 10 gallon tank with some egg craton and fed them for a few weeks with the proper temps and plenty of food the colony exploded.

today I have 2 tubs from WALMART teaming with them...

Tons of articles on HOW TO on the web ... and youtube as well

Breeding Dubia

NY worms

you tube links

10/26/15  05:06pm

Daedae26
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315289

Questions

I just purchased a bearded dragon from my local pet store and I was wondering when is the proper time to handle your new beardie

11/15/15  04:12pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Daedae26   In reference to Message Id: 2315729

Questions

some say wait for a week or more to settle in. It’s all up to the bearded dragon and the size and his comfort level. They are not toys ...and you need to respect his space as well.

Go slow and see if he likes you. If he does continue handling until he becomes tired of it... short durations until you can increase the time allowed out

11/16/15  06:00pm

Dragontears
View Profile

Message To: Bender_the_dragon   In reference to Message Id: 2315300

Questions

there are few sites you can get alot of dubias for cheap i recomend gettinga starter colony and bredding them youll save a ton of money

01/11/16  07:03pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area