Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lizzypoo   Dragon Lover   Kyle McI  

Member  Message

Lizzypoo
View Profile

Need help with veggies

Goliath is about 6 months old now and so far he LOVES collard greens. I have read lists about what to get him but there are so many options. What is the healthiest and tastiest veggies that beardies can eat. As hes getting older I want to try out some different ones. feel free to just list them for me! Thanks!

02/26/15  10:43am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Lizzypoo   In reference to Message Id: 2312531

Need help with veggies

Hi,

The best for him would be the collard greens, mustard greens, escarole, turnip greens, arugula.....but pretty much you can give him anything as long as you combine them.

For instance, kale and spinach would not be good if fed by themselves. They bind calcium, which means that they grab on to the calcium they contain and the beardie doesn’t get any of it in his little body. But if you combine it with one or to of the above, even though he is not getting the calcium from the kale or spinach, he will get the calcium from the others.

They love fruits and squashes. Squashes like banana squash and butternut squash are good for them. Fruit is only a treat since it’s high in sugars.

Do not feed onions, avocado, or mushrooms for they are toxic.

Edel

02/26/15  10:52pm

Kyle McI
View Profile

Message To: Lizzypoo   In reference to Message Id: 2312531

Need help with veggies

Mines loves butternut squash and its very good for them, after peeling it, I put it through the cheese grater to make strands of it, she’ll happily eat it from the dish. I put it in with some shredded spring greens which are also a good staple for them, though she doesn’t seem to like them much. prefers rocket but rockets not a good staple as theres no nutritional value, but ok to give along with squash.

03/20/15  11:48am

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area