Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Herpseeker   Takahiro111   Herpseeker   Takahiro111   Link24   Takahiro111   Link24   Takahiro111   Dragon Lover   Takahiro111   Dragon Lover   Takahiro111   Dragon Lover   LionHood   Echodawn  

Member  Message

Herpseeker
View Profile

How do you know?

How do you know if your beardie trust you? He will sleep on my or my partner’s shoulder but he wont eat from our hands like our uromastyx. We have have had him three days. I know it takes a while. After two days we got him to eat greens but just escarole wont touch the endive. Whats a good way to build trust?

12/08/14  03:24pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2311248

How do you know?

From experience with my water monitor to build trust you’ll need to let him settle in his cage, the minimum 2 weeks.... he’s sleeping in your shoulders because he’s scared and wishing you’ll put him back but not to sound mean you just got him so let him settle in and after that try to interact then try hand feeding or let him see who’s feeding him. If he do something good like not flare up his beard at him give a waxworm for a treat. Building trust takes a while so be patience and take it slow and you may get good results but I don’t wanna tell you that you will get good results cause every indiviual is different. :)

12/08/14  07:32pm

Herpseeker
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311249

How do you know?

okay, thanks. I’ll pass on the word to let him be. My partner’s parents wants use to put the uromastyx in with him. But I quickly said no to that. We are taking them both to the closest herp vet a few hours away. We want them both to get checked out, what’s the best way to transport them, we have one critter container but it’s only big enough for the mali uromastyx and I’m not putting both in it. Would a large shoe box with holes punched in the top work? I’m hoping so.

12/09/14  11:52am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2311256

How do you know?

I would get another carrier just so he won’t be stressed in that box since its a few hours away.

12/09/14  02:14pm

Link24
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311259

How do you know?

How you know your beardy trust you well you will know don’t wait 2 weeks to hold them they need your attention the more you interact with them the more they will trust. As for feeding them just keep trying don’t give up not all will feed from hands but just keep trying. You do not have to wait 2 weeks. Mine snuggle with me all the time it doesn’t mean they want to be put back talk them too.

12/27/14  12:55pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Link24   In reference to Message Id: 2311494

How do you know?

But they only had it for 3 days so its better to let them settle in the cage before interacting with them and this goes for other species of reptiles in capivity as well. To prevent stress the minimum is 2 weeks to let them get use to the new enclosure then began interacting but slowly like petting it, then let it come to you and lastly it should be already use to you so you can pick it up but not from above...gently while supporting its weight.

12/27/14  01:35pm

Link24
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311497

How do you know?

I never did with my beardy I have had them 9 years this one now now who is named moby I held him right away he trust me I got my info from people who are really good with reptiles you are untitled to your opinion but beardy need attention right away. This is from someone who has 15 plus years and more the 6 bearded dragons. no, i tell people to just start handling them right away. how else would it get used to you. if you let him get used to his cage for two weeks, it will then try and defent its territory. so I have owned bearded dragons for like 9 years now maybe more I learned from people who really know what they are talking about. Start holding your bearded dragons right away

12/27/14  10:26pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Link24   In reference to Message Id: 2311501

How do you know?

Well yeah every animal is different and so is the way people care for them as well as opinions... also it doesn’t matter how many animals you or anyone has. I use to have an adult beardie but my local zoo wanted it because of his coloration.dont expect every animal will be cage defensive I’ve let my burm,large boas and water & sav monitor all settle in when I first got them as babies and their now and aren’t cage defensive...its how much time your willing to spend with the animal. Yeah the person only is 2 years ahead of me in reptiles woohoo but what ever I’m not gonna argue just have fun with your beardie and have a nice day :). Just ended this conversation.

12/28/14  12:07am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311502

How do you know?

I always advise people to handle them right away. They will get used to you frailly quickly. If you leave them alone for two weeks, they get used to their enclosure and it’s harder for them because now they are going to start defending their territory. Yes, some will act different than others. As with the hand feeding. I have had as many as 18 beardies at once, and not all them, although they all trust me and know me, will eat form my hand. It depends on the dragon itself.

Edel

01/03/15  01:11am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2311627

How do you know?

That’s what I was trynna tell the person who’s trynna make me look stupid that it depends on the dragon cause not every beardies has the same attitude. I only told the person to let it settle because I was told that from a expert when I first started the reptile hobby and it worked when my adult burm,water&sav monitor,red tail was young. It also worked on the adult tegu and dumeril boa my friends dumped on me and I didn’t have them as hatchlings. I know everyone has different opinions on experience its just this person is making me look like I have no knowledge of reptiles. I had a beardie it was a light/dark orange looking color and I tried to pick it up when I got it and that didn’t work so I let it settle and it was a success. I just feel if your gonna correct someone do it more politely(not you the other person).

01/03/15  03:25am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311628

How do you know?

takahiro111,

I don’t think they were trying to make you look bad and it did not come across that way. We all have different ways of doing things, and Link knows that. Personally, i think it’s better to hold them right away, but I have some that ave been so totally abused, that I had to leave alone for a while, in the meantime letting it know that I was there by talking to them and making sure they saw me a lot. Even now, after five years, I have a male who will not let me pick him up, and when I do, he blows up like a balloon, like what they do in the tub, and tries to run away. But, no, you did not look stupid and I know Link was not trying to make you look that way either.

Edel

01/05/15  01:21am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2311663

How do you know?

Okay thanks I apologize I might have took it the wrong way

01/05/15  06:31am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2311664

How do you know?

Don’t worry about it....we are all here to learn and share what we have learned with those just starting.

Edel

01/05/15  05:58pm

LionHood
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2311671

How do you know?

I know that my beardie hates when I leave him in his cage for too long and I’ve only had him two weeks. If I’m sitting at my desk, which is near his tank, he scratches at the glass and crawls right up my arm to my shoulder when I stick it in.

01/14/15  11:30am

Echodawn
View Profile

Message To: Herpseeker   In reference to Message Id: 2311248

How do you know?

with both of my bearded dragons I handled them right away, they were also babies. The more you handle your reptile the more it will come around and have a liking towards you. A bearded dragon sleeping on you actually does mean they trust you. or else they wouldn’t be sleeping. Just try hand feeding greens, it took my beards a little but i tried for two weeks everyday and now they take some greens from me, although they prefer to hunt their crickets ! :)

11/09/15  02:27pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area