Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

BlackBeardDragon   BlackBeardDragon   Tempestborn  

Member  Message

BlackBeardDragon
View Profile

Brumation?!

It’s winter here, December 12, 2013. My bearded dragon’s temps are about 103 degrees Fahrenheit on the hot side, and about 85 degrees Fahrenheit on the cooler side, and temperatures will go down to about 64 at night, but i have a black light that keeps it up to about 75.When his lights come on, he won’t go to them anymore until about later during the day, he’s really slow, he tries to sleep all the time now, he doesn’t bask anymore, he doesn’t exactly SLEEP all the time, but he’s always in a corner lying down TRYING. He’s sometimes successful and falls asleep, if I feed him he will eat like he’s normal, he poops completely find, and sometimes some days he’s active, runny around, jumping, and I still take him out of his cage when he IS active, he runs around in my room, then I put him back. So I’m wondering what’s his problem sometimes?

12/12/13  11:17am

BlackBeardDragon
View Profile

Message To: BlackBeardDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2302654

Brumation?!

Also he’s in a 50 gallon tank, he’s about 8 months of age, he was in a 20 gallon until he was about 6 months, I WILL NOT buy those huge $2000 custom tanks, not spending money to get one made either, it’s all expensive.

12/12/13  11:22am

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: BlackBeardDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2302655

Brumation?!

he wants to sleep. turn his lights down. when he goes to sleep and stays that way, you can turn off the basking spot lights, because when he’s brurmating he doesn’t need to be so warm. in fact, if he’s too warm, it can keep his metabolism from slowing like it should during brumation.

only one of my dragons brumated this year. when she started showing signs, i put a towel over the front of her cage and left her light off, and after that i just checked on her until she woke up again.

i must say it’s somewhat disheartening to see your absolute refusal to improve your beardie’s home. you know, if you have even a speck of artistic talent, you can make an amazing custom cage yourself.

i have one beardie in a 50 and one in a 40 breeder; i’d go bigger if i had the space, but what they have is adequate as long as they get their out time and have "furniture" and hides.

jesse

p.s. i just noticed the date on your post. i’m so sorry no one answered before now.

01/24/14  09:21am

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area