Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Schreechies   Dragon Lover   Schreechies   Schreechies   Dragon Lover   Schreechies   Schreechies  

Member  Message

Schreechies
View Profile

Can I have some general info on these cute beardies?

Hey guys! I have a 3 month old beardie (3 months on Halloween according to the breeder) and I wanted a couple of my questions answered.

1. He’s started what I call bearded dragon puberty phase 1’
He was puffing his baby beard out this morning, right as I woke up.
Is this normal? No he’s not aggressive towards me one bit. He gets an hour+ of handling each day.

2. Sudden appetite change?
Man, his appetite has changed! He is now hungrier than normal, and I’m feeding him 2 times a day. He now gets 20 crickets at each meal. Is this just because he is maturing, growing up, and growing .5 inches a week? (He’s even to the vet for check ups and he is perfectly healthy, no parasites, no wounds, scratches, or nips.)

3. Nail trimming/ filing?
His nails are more sharp than long. He actually has cut me with his nails a few times, so can I file them? Or are they just naturally sharp?

4. Growth?
How long does it take for them to be fully grown? He really hasn’t started to get that side, but he’s gotten just a tiny big wider.

Thank you all who answer my questions! I have all the right lights n setup, so I just wanted some info

10/26/13  11:02am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2301948

Hi,

1. Yes, that’s pretty normal. If it’s in the morning like that, he is just stretching his beard out. He will actually go through the puberty stage at about 6 to 8 months old.

2. Also normal. He is growing, and the protein helps him grow. Make sure your dusting with pure calcium. At six months old, our Galdor was eating twice a day 60+ crickets at each feeding.

3. Yes, you can file the nails a bit. Make sure you don’t file too close to the quick.

4. He will be an adult at 18 months old.

Edel

10/30/13  01:11am

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2301998

Awesome thank you so much! My mom was also wanting to know. But anyways, guess what? I’m getting him either a 40-70 gallon terrarium! *applause*

10/31/13  05:53pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2302020

Oh and can you PLEASE show some of your setups? I really need some ideas. Thanks!

10/31/13  05:59pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Schreechies   In reference to Message Id: 2302021

Hi,

Here’s a couple of pics.

This is a 120 gallon tank......very hard to clean. lol

Because we have so many, we took garage shelving units and built them into enclosures. Here’s one after just being built.

Hope this helps.

Edel

11/03/13  04:10am

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2302064

Thank you! It defintley does (I didn’t spell that right did I)
I’m getting a long one, for example, 50 gallon long. I’m worried those are too skinny.. So should I stick with the breeder size? I just want the best for my baby boy.
Thanks!

11/03/13  08:38pm

Schreechies
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2302064

Yes thank you! I’m most likely getting one of the longer ones, for example a 60 gallon long. They look so skinny.... Should I stick to the breeder size?

Also; today bobby spilled his calcium supplement (powder) EVERYWHERE. It got all on his face. Will he be alright? He has a little around his eyes, so I hope that doesn’t affect him :-(
It was funny though. I left the lid of the calcium a ith the supplement in it, for that’s how he eats it (sometimes I hide mealworms in it and he has to find them XD) and I turn around for a second to grab something. I look back at him, he’s In a cloud xD just eating the calcium as if nothing happened

11/03/13  08:44pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area