Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Alialidandi   Dragon Lover   Alialidandi   Dragon Lover  

Member  Message

Alialidandi
View Profile

Juv Beardie Jumped on my face-help please

I have a young beardie prob a few months old, about 4 or 5 inches s to v and always shy/nervous. Doesn’t like crickets, I hand feed it wax worms. Kind of skinny but not scarily so. Drinks water when I use mister on it. Takes a few bites of salad a day. Basks at around 105. I hold him every day for a few minutes. He doesn’t love it but tolerates it. Today he was super jumpy and was just looking for a way to escape. Wouldn’t calm down so I was going to put it back into its tank. I held it in front of me about a foot and a half away and was looking at it to make sure it looked healthy-I swear it looked at the top of my head like it was trying to figure out how to get up there and the next thing I knew it jumped, literally, onto my face and grabbed my cheeks and glasses with its claws. Was not fun. I gently disengaged myself from it and placed it back in the tank and washed my face. Now I don’t know what to do. Seems like its behavior is getting worse instead of better. I’ve spent so much money and time trying to do everything right over the past month with this little guy and I’m not seeing any progress. Please advise, I have small children and I can’t have an aggressive or unfriendly dragon-that’s the whole reason why I got this kind of reptile. Thanks.

08/09/13  02:44pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Alialidandi   In reference to Message Id: 2300314

Hi,

The fact that he jumped on you does not mean he is aggressive....he is young and they love to roam and look around/explore. Set an area up where he/she can run around and explore without getting into trouble or lost and let it exercise. He will love it. As they grow up they do calm down and become somewhat lazy.

It is normal for him to be nervous ... he has only been in your care for about a month....it is still all new to him. You need to be patient and you need to keep handling him. If you don’t then he could possibly become aggressive. It could take him months.....you need to want to spend time with it and he will become easy to handle. Another option, if you didn’t have time for a young dragon, would have been to rescue an older/adult one....one that had been handled and had calmed down. Baby dragons are just like baby children.....active and inquisitive. Be patient.

Edel

08/10/13  02:46am

Alialidandi
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2300326

Thank you Edel- today was better! Tofu ate five little crickets and when I held him he was very alert and I could see he was looking for various places to go and tried to skitter about but he definitely wasn’t overly scared and didn’t try to jump away- i kind of cradled him gently so he felt secure but not trapped, and let him climb down my arm back into his tank after about five minutes so he knew it was his "choice" to go back. he seems to really like clinging to my upright index finger, perpendicular to the ground... it’s cute, like he’s hugging a tree. i also cut back on his light a little so it goes on at 8 am and off at 9 pm, and will follow the season a little more closely. fingers crossed... thanks again for your input. i also think he might have thought i was going to give him a bath because every time i took him out for the past two weeks was just to give him a bath and he hated it. so now i’m going to take him out just to chill/play.

08/10/13  12:43pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Alialidandi   In reference to Message Id: 2300333

You’re Welcome.

I’m glad he’s doing better. They really are great critters and the bond between the two of you will be strong....just keep handling him and hanging out. :)

Edel

08/10/13  10:38pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area