Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

RJA   Dragon Lover   RJA   Dragon Lover   RJA   Dragon Lover   RJA   Dragon Lover   RJA   Dragon Lover   RJA   Dragon Lover   Dragon Lover  

Member  Message

RJA
View Profile

Needing some help from experienced owners

I have a 4 year(ish) usually healthy Beardie experiencing sudden partial paralysis of his back legs. His tank is a 119 gallon glass enclosure with tile as a substrate. His is fed veg daily, and dusted crickets once a week (any more than that, he doesn’t eat them, and we end up chasing them around the tank to get them out again) His temps HAVE been a bit lower than normal due to us moving to a new house, and trying to re-figure everything, but they are still within the lower end of range. His bulbs are all new within the last 6 months. I am wracking my brain to think of anything else that might have changed to cause this, but I am drawing a blank. We have spent the evening giving him warm tubs as well as olive oil and apple sauce by dropper (which he did lap up). Ugghh I always felt like after what seemed like hundreds of hours of research, I knew what I needed to know, but I am at a complete loss here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

07/19/13  01:54am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299677

Hi,

Sounds like you know what you’re doing, but I will ask anyway.....does he and have you had a UV bulb for him? Also, are you dusting with or without D3? Too much D3 can cause somewhat of the same symptoms that MBD would cause. It could also be as simple as him eating something way too big and once he has a bowl movement he will be fine. Sometime, it is just genetic and it’s just something that is going to happen. I had one that did that same thing after she laid a clutch of infertile eggs and never regained the movement in her back legs. Come to find out, she had leukemia. We lost her this year.
You say you have been giving him apple sauce. Is he not eating normally by himself otherwise?

Edel

07/19/13  05:35pm

RJA
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2299707

Hey, thanks for getting back to me :)

Yes he has always had a UVB bulb, and he is getting calcium with NO D3, and a multivitamin.

He is a pretty big guy, 28 inches long nose to tail, and he usually gets 5 week crickets. Occasionally horn worms for a treat, but it has been a few months. His salad is pretty standard (beautiful dragons list)

He hasn’t been eating much for the last two weeks. No crickets and just picking at his salad. Hence the baby food. I’m trying to get something into him.

My first thought was impaction, but I just can’t figure out what would have cause it.
My second was MBD as well, but again, I’m not too sure.

Thanks for trying to help, and I will take any info or ideas you can give me :)

07/19/13  11:05pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299723

I would suggest a vet visit. Everything looks good with the husbandry....they may want to do some blood work or x-rays.

In the mean time, keep him hydrated and up those temps to about 110-115F.

Edel

07/20/13  09:03pm

RJA
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2299756

Thanks Edel,

We have managed to get his temps up a bit more, and he was eating a bit more of the baby food today, so that’s a good thing. We are going to get him looked at asap. It’s the weekend so we have to wait :(

07/20/13  10:50pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299765

Of course....

I know, that’s the bad thing about weekends.....good luck and keep us posted.

Edel

07/22/13  12:23am

RJA
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2299820

We have him booked in for tomorrow afternoon so we shall see how it goes. He was a lot more alert today, and even ate some salad. Stinker also drank a ton of his bath water tonight, so I know he is getting some hydration thank goodness. He also held himself up on his back legs today, so I am feeling a bit more hopeful. :)

Thanks again :)

07/22/13  09:47pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299861

Hey, how did it go at the Vet’s???

Edel

07/25/13  12:07am

RJA
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2299926

Well.....It went well, although I ended up feeling like a bit of a fool. Mr. Copper ended up having the biggest, nastiest, ugliest poop of all time while at the vet’s office....It would seem that he was in fact impacted, and that the baths and baby food worked in his favour. He is still not using his back legs very much, but they said that it might take a while for him to get back to normal. I was told to try to keep his temps up, as well as the tubs to keep him hydrated, and start offering normal food back to him slowly. He was MUCH more alert tonight, and even tried to snap at me while I was giving him his salad. I think he thought I was a bug. While I was not too thrilled to be snapped at, it was awesome to see him actually moving forward and putting some energy into it :)

07/25/13  12:47am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299927

I’m glad he’s doing better. Thank goodness he passed it and now that he is feeling better, he will probably eat normally again. Soon he should be walking/using those legs again.

Thanks for the update!!!! :)

Edel

07/25/13  02:05pm

RJA
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2299939

So it turns out that Copper appears to have been munching on the "silk" leaves off of the vine in his enclosure. :( Stinker.....

He is becoming more and more active thankfully, and even wolfed down 20 "4 week" crickets tonight with gusto!! It looks like he is starting to get some more movement in his legs as well, even though he still isn’t using them fully. I am just so happy he is starting to seem more like the Copper we know :)

Edel, We can’t thank you enough for the help, and more than anything, the support you gave us through this very scary episode. :)

07/27/13  12:38am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: RJA   In reference to Message Id: 2299956

Oh My Gosh......Copper. What a silly boy. I’m glad you found out what was actually happening and hopefully he will have full use of his legs again soon.

I’m glad he is doing so much better.

Edel

08/03/13  02:48am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2300174

Sorry, hit post instead of go back.......

It is always scary when our babies aren’t acting right and when we know something is wrong and can’t figure out what is going on. I’m just glad he is going to be ok......glad to be able to somehow help out.

Edel

08/03/13  02:52am

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area