Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Joshua B   Dragon Lover   Joshua B   Dragon Lover   Dragon Lover   Joshua B   Dragon Lover   Joshua B   Dragon Lover   Joshua B   Fellowdt23   Joshua B   Dragon Lover   Joshua B  

Member  Message

Joshua B
View Profile

Scales falling off

Hi, this is Josh. Does anyone know what I can do for my Bearded dragon until she can she the vet on Tuesday? Some scales are falling of....(not shedding, I know the difference). I found a few in her tank and when I looked at her back she had two more coming off. She wont eat or now she won’t even drink. She use to drink water. I did call the vet who wont be in until Tues. and he said it sounds like a viral, bacterial or fungus infection and she is probably in pain. Can I help her before he visit to feel better. I have soaked her for last 3 days. gonna soak her again tonite. Thank you

01/29/12  06:16pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253231

Scales falling off

Josh,

What’s going on man....Has she been squeezing through any tight spots that might have pulled some scales off?

Fungal infections will cause scales to fall off. Some of the signs she might be in pain....is she lethargic or is she still active and eating as normal.....is she reluctant to move with slow reflexes.....hunching.....restless.....bity?

The best thing to do is get her into the vet. In the meantime, if she is acting normal, then just treat it as a normal day until Tuesday.

Good luck......Please keep us posted.

Edel

01/30/12  04:59am

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2253293

Scales falling off

LOL Edel! I don’t know although I have been putting her on the patio since she came out of the yo-yo brumation. She has been trying to climb up the screen. She is running around alrite and not really looking like she is sick but she won’t eat, her beard hurts and looks discolored. When she was taking some drops of water, she would back up away from me and her stomach would jump when she swallowed the little drops so I think her stomach hurts to. Since she wont drink I have been soaking her everyday. Taking her to the vet tomorrow. I hope we can get her well. She is really trying to drive me crazy I think! I’ll let you know what the vet says. Thanks!

01/30/12  12:32pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253326

Scales falling off

Josh,

Have the vet do a fecal. If you don’t have a fresh poop they can do a swab. I wonder if the belly shaking has anything to do with parasites? hmmmm

Could she have eaten something weird outside? Nah, but that would not explain the scales.

IDK Josh....You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Sending good positive vibes!!!!

Hope all goes well. I have a weird work schedule this week, but post please. I will look periodically from work.

Edel

01/31/12  03:05am

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253326

Scales falling off

Yes, it is very possible that she is just trying to drive you crazy. LOL ;)

01/31/12  03:05am

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2253431

Scales falling off

Hi Edel! Ok, here goes. The vet said the blood work revealed an elevated calcium in the blood. He said she is probaby getting ready to produce eggs but the calcium level was too high. Although you give them the calcium in the diet like your supposed to, he said they still pull calcium from the bones and she was pulling too much. He did an ultrasound and he saw a lot of follicles that was being pushed up by stomach fat pads and that was probably the reason she felt full and didn’t want to eat. He wanted to do a biopsy but my Mom was already paying 300.00 for the stuff that was done already (she said she didn’t pay that much for me when I was born lol). He said he suspects hepatic lipidosis. (copied that one from the paper) Her kidneys and liver looked ok. He said it is important to feed her because he sent me home with something called optomega flax seed oil blend to melt the fatty pockets. I don’t force feed her very well but I have to try. I am feeding her the critical care green and brown bag mixed together. BTW, I have to google hepatic lipidosis. This is probably because I fed her too many wax worms so listen my beardie people, DON"T FEED YOUR DRAGON WAXWORMS!! IF SO, ONLY ABOUT 5 A WEEK. Vet scared me and thought she had liver falure and told me they would then have to put her to sleep. I turned into a punk and started crying lol. (My mom wont let me forget that one) I am doing what I have to do to keep this crazy girl alive. Then her UVB tube (reptisun 10.0) was not putting enough uvb out and we just purchased that a month ago. I have a mercury vapor bulb now but she seems like she doesn’t like it. It’s in there anyway. I hope she gets use to it. Ok, that’s my story. Don’t work too hard. Thanks for your answers!

Josh

01/31/12  06:23pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253509

Scales falling off

Josh,

First off Josh, I want to say that I am really excited that you were able to tell us all, here in the forums, in front of millions of people LOL, that you cried. ;) I like that!!!!

Make sure you watch her with the new MVB. If she starts hiding when it’s on or closing her eyes, turn the Bulb off right away. Which kind did you get? Some bulbs have had problems where they are releasing too much uv and burning the dragons. Just keep a close eye on her.

So with the ultrasound, did he say these were the follicles where the eggs develop? :)

Optomega flax seed oil blend. Never heard of that. Will go look it up.........So, A blend of essential fatty acids from organic flax seed, sunflower seed, pumpkin seed, and olive oils. The Omega fatty acids are essential to the body because they are good fats that our bodies need. Our bodies cannot make the omega fatty acids, therefore they have to come from the stuff that we eat. So he has given her the optomega oil blend to try and get some of these fatty acids up...therefore by making her little body more healthy so that it will automatically melt the fatty pads. hmmmm

Ok I’m just blabbering now. LOL

Josh....I am sending good positive thoughts (and if you believe in prayer) and prayers so that she heals quickly. It really sounds like she will be ok, but I know how worrisome it can be.

Keep us posted please and Keep up the good work. You have always done great with her.

Edel

02/01/12  03:37am

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2253551

Scales falling off

LOL Edel! I am waiting for somebody to tease me about the crying part. Thanks for explaining the fatty acid thing. I didn’t really understand it but you made it easier. Thanks about the bulb. The kind I have is power sun 100w by Zoo Med. I put it on top of the screen and she did move away from it. My mom purchased a stand and I have it hanging over her now at about 12 inces and took the screen off. she is staying under there now. The temp won’t go over 92 degrees though. She never liked it too hot anyway. Gonna go soak her. Should I put the screen back on? She drank some water this morning Yayyyyy! He said yes those folicles will turn into eggs. She didn’t really like my lay box before. Going to buy some play sand and mix it with the soil. I do pray all the time. I am praying for everybodys beardies in this group. Have a good day Edel and everybody!

Josh

02/01/12  01:51pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253582

Scales falling off

Josh,

Ok, I have used the Powersuns for ever and ever and have never had any problems. Good bulb, IMO.....lol Good thing she is under it too. I have Androth in a 120 gallon tank and yes, the MVB does not give out a lot of heat, especially at 12 to 18 inches, so I do have a second bulb for more heat.

You don’t really need the screen on unless you know she will escape or if you have a cat or dog that might get to her.

YAY for drinking water!!!!

The play sand is a good idea, especially if she didn’t like the lay box. Although, even without the box, if she has eggs and needs to lay them she will. Our Lady Blue does not like a lay box either and she will lay her infertile eggs every year all over her enclosure. lol She’s all over the place.

Almost time for work...UGH!!!! Why do I have to be an adult and work? LOL I just wanna play.

Have a Great Day!!!!

Edel

02/01/12  02:50pm

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2253590

Scales falling off

Thanks Edel! I have to work too. But I just have to clean my room and sweep and dishes lol. Sorry, don’t work to hard! LOL .. you need time to play! I’ll let you know when she lays these things. She got a really black beard when I force fed her the oil and her food today. Oh well, she needs to eat then. TTYL!

Josh

02/01/12  09:52pm

Fellowdt23
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2253647

Scales falling off

Hi Joshua

How did you get on with your dragon? Im also treating a dragon with the same condition for the last 10 months.
Im interested to know how much dosage of the flaxseed oil you were to give each day?

Hope your dragon is going well ;)

06/02/13  06:26am

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Fellowdt23   In reference to Message Id: 2298101

RIP SHADOW

Hi Fellow. We had to put Shadow down 2 days ago. She was 5 yrs old and I had her since a baby. Vet took ultrasound and said the fatty pads was pushing up her lungs and that made it hard for her to breath. I forgot the dose of that stuff. It was in a little bottle. She was always a fatty but a happy one. I don’t think that oil helped her any. She had been eating well but could not drink. It would go into her lungs eveytime and I suppose that is because they were pushed up. She would not touch veggies because they gave her stomach aches and diareha (sp). I could only feed her worms. One thing DO NOT GIVE THEM HORNWORMS OR WAXWORMS ONLY EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE!. I suppose this is what happened. I was feeding her hornworms. Vet said he thought she was suffering after an ultrasound and advised we put her to sleep. I am feeling really empty now cause she is not in my room and I miss her so much. I hope you read this Edel. Thanks for all your help. Good luck Fellow, I’m praying for yours. I will check back.

06/15/13  07:35pm

Dragon Lover
View Profile

Message To: Joshua B   In reference to Message Id: 2298519

RIP SHADOW

Oh Joshua, I just read this. I am so so sorry. It is always so hard making that decision and it always feels wrong, but know that you did everything possible for her. My heart hurts.

Do you think you’ll get another? I hope so.

<3 <3 Edel

06/21/13  02:46pm

Joshua B
View Profile

Message To: Dragon Lover   In reference to Message Id: 2298710

RIP SHADOW

thanks my friend Edel

06/29/13  06:19pm

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area