Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Bearded Dragon Community Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Newfgal   Rokdog   Newfgal   Tarkah   Newfgal   Tarkah   Newfgal   Tarkah   Cphill58   Newfgal   Tarkah   Newfgal   Janmccri  

Member  Message

Newfgal
View Profile

Hi everyone! It’s been a while :)

Hi guys,

It sure has been a long time since I have been here has it not?! Where have I been you ask? Just really busy! lol. I have a new addition to my reptile zoo as well, a baby Egyptian Uromastyx, who is the sweetest little thing ever! My beardies are all doing great as usual, all Brumating right now though.

Anyway, the reason for my visit, is to let you all know, our UV lighting prayers have been answered! I am sure some of you have heard of the Arcadia UV lights from the UK that are an amazing UV lights and are the #1 choice over there for reptiles. Well now, they are finally available in the US, and they ship to Canada as well! I have a few on the way to me as we speak, or type, hehe...I have ordered the T8’s, which will fit any normal fixture. They also have the T5’s which are excellent, but the voltage is different so you would need new fixtures, and for some like me here in Canada, I would also have to order the transformer for the voltage as well. As of right now, Todd does not have the Arcadia Mecury vapor bulbs, but will eventually get those also. You can email him with questions about the bulbs, or buy them from here....

link

They have twice the life span of the reptisuns I am told, and are so much stronger than them also, and they help produce D3 as well. I am an admin on a Bearded dragon forum over there in the UK, and have has so much wonderful feedback about them also. I cannot wait to test them :)

Anyway, thought I would let you all know, especially for those of you who are sick of replacing the reptisuns every 6 months.

Take care everyone,

Nancy

11/24/11  06:52am

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245194

Hi Nancy, thanks for the update & link to the Arcadia UV lights
Good news!!! and glad to hear that your zoo is doing well
though it must get a bit quite there whan all your Beardies are brumating....

Gonna order some Arcadias asap as it is almost time too switch out
my UVB’s.

Take Care....
Ron M

11/24/11  08:40am

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2245198

Hello Ron

Your very welcome! This is just to exciting not to share! Yes, great news indeed It’s about time! lol!

Yes, pretty quite in my house these days, but my baby Uro, Moko, is sure keeping me company :)

Take care,

Nancy :)

11/24/11  08:48am

Tarkah
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245200

Nancy! It’s been a while for me too!

Great to hear that everythings doing good! We all need to catch up sometime.

How’re the CWDs? and cornsnakes and all your other critters.

oh wow thanks for sharing! It’s hard enough/ expensive for me to grab the Reptisuns, much less have to replace them so often.

So what’s needed to get these running in Canada?

Ashley

11/24/11  10:15pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Tarkah   In reference to Message Id: 2245235

Hi Ashley!

It’s great to hear from you :) All my critters are doing great hun, but Olivia, the female CWD died a few months ago, she became egg bound and died very quickly :( Otis though the big brute is doing wonderful though, and all my other scaly babies to. Remember Charlie my beardie that was born with Adeno? Well he is 5 years old and doing wonderful with his fluids and all natural treatments. And, I had a massive tattoo of him done on my back, and it looks just like him! It’s amazing, and now he will be with me always, no matter what :)

For the Acardia D3 UV lights, all you need is the same fixture as you use for the reptisuns, thats for the T8 Arcadia’s. So do not order the T5 unless you are willing to replace the fixture, and buy a voltage transformer.

Nancy

11/25/11  06:49am

Tarkah
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245255

okay cool thanks! Do you know where i can go to get some more reviews on them? I think i’m going to pick up some for myself after i’m done my christmas shopping!

Oh gosh sorry to hear about Olivia =( she was such a beautiful dragon.
How is Jima doing?

Very cool about the tattoo! and yes i remember Charlie, he is so adorable. If you have any pics of the tat i’d love to see it!

Ashley =)

11/25/11  09:57pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Tarkah   In reference to Message Id: 2245292

Ashley,

I have sent you a message :)

Thanks, yes, poor Olivia. It was a very sad day when she passed :( And since I rescued Jemma and the bad condition she was in, she had all sorts of health problems. She only lived for about 1 year poor darling. She never did fully recover.

Anyway, here is my Charlie tatt, I love it :)

11/27/11  07:52am

Tarkah
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245416

Aww poor dear, at least she had a great year with you.

oh wow! i really love it! it even has a bit of his black beard that he always shows. I’d love to get a tattoo but i dont know if i can handle the pain and i’d never know what to get!

Ashley

11/27/11  03:29pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Tarkah   In reference to Message Id: 2245467

I have read about the Arcadia lamps for many months now...at last they are becoming available here in the USA...on UVB meter owners @ yahoo groups . com They are the rage in GB and other European countries and down under too...

Good to hear from you Nancy...!!

So sad to hear about Olivia...ugh ...how awful...I am so sorry...
I lost Gandalf to cancer ...had him put to sleep

11/28/11  10:06pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2245589

Chris,

It’s so good to hear from you also. I am so sorry about Gandalf, I heard :( That must have been so horrible for you. And thank you, It was a sad day loosing Olivia, and it took Otis a few weeks to get back to normal. He was lost without her :(

As for the Arcadias, I am very disappointed with the ones I have. The 12% D3 T8. They are not what I expected at all.

Ok, set up the Arcadias, and tested all 4 of them. I was going to order more after Christmas if I was happy with the results, but looks like I will not be ordering more any time soon :( So here are the readings from my meters.....First I tested the Reptisun 10’s, and these are all fairly new, about 1 month old, if that. So, at 8 inches, the UVB is 93uW/cm2 (Microwatts per square cm), and the UV In...dex is at 3.1. At 6 inches, the UVB reads, 125uW/cm2, and the UVI reads 4.2 These are good readings, and this is why I keep them at 6 inches. All my reptisuns tested pretty much the same, give or take a number or two since no two UV bulbs are alike. Ok, so for the Arcadias. All of them tested pretty much the same. The higest one though at 8 inches read 70uW/cm2, and the UV Index was 2.2, so thats pretty low! At 6 inches, the readings were 85uW/cm2, and the UVI was at 3.0, barely enough for a dragon to see visible light. Anything under 2 on the UV index meter is like a dragon sitting in the shade....Now, get this. Ok, so those readings were all from 1 single tube, but My 4 foot fixtures can hold 2 tubes, so I decided to double them up. So, for two Arcadias, the UVB reading were 145uW/cm2, and the UV Index read 5.2 Now those are excellent readings, but means I will have to pay double and order two bulbs just to get good readings for my dragons....I am a bit disappointed with these results...The reptisuns are better according to my readings.

I have seen some of Frances results and they are the same for this bulb...

As for the T5 model. They are aparently the opposite.

This is Frances words about them.

for the t5 12%. At 6 inches, with a reflector, 477 uW/cm2, UVI 15.6. Without a reflector without a reflector, at a distance of 6 inches, it is 173uW/cm2, UVI 5.7 fine for a ’sun beam’ but not good if your bulb is covering 2/3 of the viv. If your bulb is covering 2/3 of the viv, you want to go with the shade method... so, a UVI gradient of 1.0 - 2.5. If the bulb is at 10 inches, UVI is 3 and at 8 inches it is 4. This is good but, requires you to have a relatively large amount of shade so that your dragon can escape the ’sunlight’ For the 6% bulbs.

I was a little shocked to see this. A UV Index of over 15? wow! Talk about blinding your dragon! So basicly what she is saying is for the T5, not to use a reflector at all keeping them at a safe distance.

And for me, I am sticking to my reptisuns :)

Take care :)

Nancy

11/30/11  08:23am

Tarkah
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245712

Thanks for giving us the results Nancy! That does suck, and i dont think many of us can afford to buy two tubes or get a transformer. it’s just not economically smart.

I guess i too will stick with the reptisuns.

Just a question, where do you order your reptisuns? Know any where that is reasonably priced here in Canada?

12/02/11  02:20pm

Newfgal
View Profile

Message To: Tarkah   In reference to Message Id: 2245931

Hi Ashley,

I get my reptisuns from reptilesupply.com It’s not a Canadian site though. Yes, it would cost quite a bit, especially for me with all the fixtures I would have to order, plus the transformer..Not worth it to me either... Take care,

12/02/11  05:19pm

Janmccri
View Profile

Message To: Newfgal   In reference to Message Id: 2245953

Hi Nancy,
Good to hear from you again. Queen Esther has just decided to brumate the past two days. Well, the weather has not been consistantly cold in Chicago yet. But Blue Dragon, the BTS is still out and about and eating and basking under his light. He usually is sleeping from November on. Go figure.
Congrats on your new baby and sorry about your loss. As for the lights. After three tries on keeping a MVB alive for more than two months, I give up. So ordered more Reptisun 10s.
Janice

12/05/11  01:00am

Back to Bearded Dragon Community Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area