Basilisks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Mightymeated   Mightymeated   Tkaiser   Aussie Animals   Enterthecatalyst  

Member  Message

Mightymeated
View Profile

New basilisk owner needs some help

hi all. i have decided after some research to get a plumed basilisk. i have bought a new tank and i would like to know the basics i know i need a 5% uvb bulb and a heat bulb. but i need to know if i need to put a habistat in the tank to regulate the heat. and do they need the light and heat 24 hours a day. please could someone advise me. cheers :)

11/04/11  04:10pm

Mightymeated
View Profile

Message To: Mightymeated   In reference to Message Id: 2243022

does any body ever look at this site????????????

11/05/11  01:39pm

Tkaiser
View Profile

Message To: Mightymeated   In reference to Message Id: 2243160

i have had basilisk for a while any questions i have three of them in a 75 gallon tank need big water dishing to lay inplenty of climbing spaces and heat lamp basking area around 90 and other side of tank in 75-85 my email address is i have a good email to send to you on basilisk any questions can call 513 403-5953

11/07/11  02:44pm

Aussie Animals
View Profile

Message To: Tkaiser   In reference to Message Id: 2243393

Basilisks love to swim so you want either a large water bowl or a water side. Humidity around 70%, heat at 90 under the basking light, 82 at the cool end. Provide many sticks and branches for climbing. A "habistat" may not be needed as long as you monitor your temperatures closely.

11/08/11  08:42am

Enterthecatalyst
View Profile

Message To: Aussie Animals   In reference to Message Id: 2243493

Help for your basilisk

I have worked with basilisks for many years. I maintined a breeder pair for 7 years in a custom enclosure untill my female died without notice. my female bred year round from the moment she reached sexual maturity, which i attribute to her shorter life. my male is now 9+ years old and still very lively. they need a large water basin that will need to be changed weekly or more frequently. i have used a submersable filter in the basin in the past but because of their tendency to defficate in the water it still needs frequent attention. Ambient lighting is important (ie florescents or incandescents), but your lizard will spend its entire day moving about the heat lamp. because the UV source needs to be somewhat close to the lizard to hold much benefit, i recommend the use of a MERCURY VAPOR bulb. MERCURY VAPOR bulbs are by far superior to flourescent lighting and will save you many headaches down the line. combined with appropriate calcium supplimentation, the mercury vapor lamps will make sure you dont have problems with calcium defficiencies (plus their colors look spectacular under such lighting!). Combine this with plenty of room to run around and you shouldnt have any problems. an undertank heater placed under the water basin should provide good humidity (and prevent respiratory diseases), but the humidity should still be monitored in the same manner you monitor the temperature gradient. if you have additional questions feel free to email me.

good luck with everything!

11/13/11  11:37pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area