Basilisks Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

AE   Rokdog   AE   Enterthecatalyst   AE  

Member  Message

AE
View Profile

New born brown basilisk not eating

i am owner of a bearded dragon, leopard gecko, coffee or garbage snake, mud turtle and a green iguana. i found 2 basilisk eggs during my vacations in chiapas, mexico. after 1 month and a half of waiting, one of them hatched and the other died during the process. my baby brown basilisk is living in a 20 gallon vivarium and will be moved to a larger one as he gets big. we have offered him small crickets but hasnt eaten any in 5 days. we have tried putting him in a seperate tank were the crickets have no place to hide in but still hasnt eaten. i dont have any experience with hatchlings and i am worried he wont last much more. any help would be really useful.

10/29/11  07:23pm

Rokdog
View Profile

Message To: AE   In reference to Message Id: 2242376

perhaps its time you did do some research on raising hatchlings...
hit the books!!

10/29/11  07:59pm

AE
View Profile

Message To: Rokdog   In reference to Message Id: 2242379

well i have researched a lot but nothing has given the answer im looking for. i need some one who has experience with brown basilisks so he or she can give me all the info and the basics

10/29/11  10:43pm

Enterthecatalyst
View Profile

Message To: AE   In reference to Message Id: 2242414

make sure food items are at most 1/3 the size of the lizards head. hatchlings need high humidity, make sure you monitor that. they need constant heat and will not be alert enough to eat at room temperature. reptile immune systems need heat to remain active, although all reptiles need a drop in temperature at night. it will need a basking spot as well as ambient lighting. if the lizard is not getting enough UV it could cause a lack of appitite. if you are using florescent tubes (garbage), make sure ur lizard spends most of its time within 10 inches of the tube. Murcury vapor lamps are far superior and i recommend them for ALL reptiles that bask or have a UV requirement. the best are mega-ray, but zoo med are also alright. MV bulbs are expensive, and the cheaper ones reduce emissions quickly and may not last a whole year (even though the bulbs still may light up).

I have never had a problem with hatchling basilisks eating. I hope yours is already eating cuz the last post was over a week ago. thats a long time for a hatchling basilisk not to eat. sorry, i just signed up for this forum today.

11/13/11  11:47pm

AE
View Profile

Message To: Enterthecatalyst   In reference to Message Id: 2244140

thanks a lot and yes he ate a little before your reply but now he is eating constantly because of your help again ty i did everything you told me to do

12/12/11  03:30pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area