Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

ElekaElphaba   QueenBeez   ElekaElphaba   QueenBeez   ElekaElphaba   Lionid  
 Member  Message

ElekaElphaba
View Profile

Dino is "spitting up"

What does it mean when your basi spits up what looks like either water or slobber while you’re feeding him? Little Dino has done this the past 2 times I’ve fed him, and today it came out of his nose. Does he have a cold? He isn’t sneezing and is still eating fine. He’s still very active and not appearing lethargic.

11/27/10  12:23pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: ElekaElphaba   In reference to Message Id: 2189660

Dino is "spitting up"

I haven’t heard of this happening... I would maybe take him to the vet just to be on the safe side.

12/01/10  08:21am

ElekaElphaba
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2190336

Dino is "spitting up"

Well he actually isn’t doing it anymore. He spends a lot of time in the little pool in the cage, so maybe he just got water in his mouth and choked on it. It didn’t smell like anything.

12/01/10  01:10pm

QueenBeez
View Profile

Message To: ElekaElphaba   In reference to Message Id: 2190371

Dino is "spitting up"

Sorry, I was under the impression that it was happening often... probably just getting water out of his nose if its only happened twice.

12/01/10  06:24pm

ElekaElphaba
View Profile

Message To: QueenBeez   In reference to Message Id: 2190434

Dino is "spitting up"

Nah he did it like 2 days in a row, but he hasn’t done it since. Sorry for that! He must be when I squirt the cage down or something because normally I squirt the lizards to keep their skin moist. Idk! He’s alright though...active as ever xD

12/01/10  10:48pm

Lionid
View Profile

Message To: ElekaElphaba   In reference to Message Id: 2190493

Dino is "spitting up"

This "spitting up" that you speak of is found in all large breed lizards. Do not worry, it is a normal function, it actually means they are quite healthy. Your herp is not sick or sneezing, he is simply removing "sweat". A herp does not have sweat glands so what does it do when it overheats? (I’m using overheat lightly, really its ok.) Your herp has to sweat and what other way than through its mouth/nose? Thank you for asking about it, it is very important for people experienced or not, to ask questions about their herps because noone knows everything about them. Thank you for your concern and I hope your herp stays healthy. Hope this information was helpful.

12/26/10  03:00pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area