Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Heathersreptiles   Cphill58   Heathersreptiles   Cphill58   Heathersreptiles   87rx7chick   Sinosauropterix   Cphill58   Sinosauropterix  
 Member  Message

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Hello,needing info

hey friends, im on a lot of the other forums, i have two adult iguanas,leopard and white lined gecko, bearded dragon,banana and fire walker tree frog, sandfish skink, green and brown anoles,snapping turtle,3 other aquatic turtles,ball python and two box turtles, and when my husband and i were at the pet store yesterday he spotted a beautiful baby green basilisk and im wanting to buy it for him. hes very good at building cages he built the cages for our iggies, but id rather get info from basilisk owers before i get him so i can have a perfect enclosure before i bring him home. i have uvb lights on almost all of my reptiles and amphibians and i do rescues and am in school for herpetology. so pictures of cages and any info would be great!lighting,well heat temps and humidity really, how big are they at full size (as big as my iggies?they are almost six ft long a piece) temperment,male or female is better?food?we breed our own dubia roaches and crickets so we have plentyof bugs lol, i just dont trust a lot of info i find on the net on my animals cause some of it is contridicting and can be wrong. thanks!!!

06/26/10  01:28pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2158620

Hello,needing info

They eat young iguanas, and other whole prey items such as rodents and birds too. As adults they are predators....they are carnivore / insectivores and they have much the same enviornment as Iguanas.....they only get about 3 ft...much smaller than a full grown Iggy.

If you duplicate the iggy enclosure they will thrive ...they are semi arboreal too.

06/26/10  11:43pm

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2158789

Hello,needing info

thanks!so as a baby, should i be feeding it crickets,dubias and pinkies?

06/27/10  09:11am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2158847

Hello,needing info

Yes and greens too ....it should be omnivorous to some degree. Like your bearded dragon, Cash.

06/27/10  10:51am

Heathersreptiles
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2158872

Hello,needing info

Awesome,so an enviroment like the iguanas and diet like my beardies. Also i just realized we have an extra cage my husband made for our snake but he didnt like it.its 2 ft wide by 4 ft tall with lots of branches and foliage,with tile bottom and its all screen.would that be sufficiant for a baby?im sure we should build a bigger one when its an adult.the baby we are looking at is about a foot long. And the temps should be like the iggys?sorry for all the questions but i want a perfect set up and all the knowledge before i bring it home and you have gave me great info!oh one more thing,how do i tell the sex?is it like my iggys?

06/27/10  11:28am

87rx7chick
View Profile

Message To: Heathersreptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2158878

Hello,needing info

use google to look up "basilisk care sheet"

read many of them and cross check information here. this forum is dead and you may not get info you really need.

humidity should be 65-85% and heat should be 80-85 with a basking spot of about 100. night time temps no lower then 75.

diet is as above stated. babies should not eat pinkies as they are to big. and may be hard to digest.

meal worms are never what you should feed any reptile. meal worms have high shell to meat ratio and can cause impaction. super worms can be gutt loaded and fed to older reptiles. but never feed meal worms.

crickets, dubia roaches. earth worms. red worms. night crawlers. silk worms. horn worms. wax worms are great treats and butter worms are too.

collard greens. kale greens. mustard greens. all these types of greens are full of vitamins

no ice burg. no roman lettus. they really are just water.

06/28/10  02:45pm

Sinosauropterix
View Profile

Message To: 87rx7chick   In reference to Message Id: 2159192

Hello,needing info

Sorry, Cphill, but basilisks don’t eat red meat in the wild. They might eat smaller lizards but they don’t normally eat mice. If you feed your basilisk mice, you are just adding useless fat to their diet. Fish and shellfish are better choices. Mouse pinkies are mostly all fat and have very little nutritional value. Besides fattening up breeding and gravid females, I don’t even know why keepers feed their lizards pinkies at all. Snakes, maybe, but not lizards.

Full grown mice are way too big and difficult for a green basilisk to swallow. Your lizard might have trouble trying to swallow it and may even choke. As a rule, you do not feed any animal to your lizard that is bigger than the lizard’s head.

And baby green iguanas are too large and too much work for any basilisk to eat.

09/29/10  01:00am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Sinosauropterix   In reference to Message Id: 2178128

Hello,needing info

LOl...like 3 months later ...now you show up ...LOL
I beg to differ with you ..as broadcast on the Discovery channel the green ballisk adult had no problem eating a small iguana ...they like to raid the hatchlings.

Cp

09/29/10  03:41pm

Sinosauropterix
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2178216

Hello,needing info

Ah OK. I see what you mean. Sure, new hatchlings can be eaten. I was thinking more about a 30 inch juvenile. The iguana I had as a kid was that long and he wasn’t very old. Three or four months or so. But you should still watch how big your prey items are. Just because a lizard can swallow something, that doesn’t mean they should swallow it. Hence the head-size rule. I read a book by a North American reptile enthusiast who once saw a dead Chuckwalla that had choked to death on another lizard because it was too big to swallow and got stuck halfway down.

And yes, my reply was posted a long time after the last post. I only recently regained interest in this forum, and so considering how infrequently other members post here, many of my replies are bound to be outdated. Nice to know you’re still here though.

09/29/10  09:22pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area