Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Sorpionlova   Gottee guy   Sorpionlova   Sinosauropterix   Sorpionlova  
 Member  Message

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Cage question

im not getting one but im hoping for one in the future. but wats the best size tank recommended

09/19/09  01:08pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2073731

Cage question

The biggest you can get.

10/02/09  05:20pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2079523

Cage question

but wats the minimum size tank i should get for a full grown basilisk?

04/29/10  04:17pm

Sinosauropterix
View Profile

Message To: Sorpionlova   In reference to Message Id: 2144263

Cage question

The minimum recommended enclosure size for a green basilisk would probably be 4 ft by 2 ft by 4 ft. I deally, you want an enclosure that is twice as long as the total length of the lizard and about half that deep. Green basilisks get to be about 3 ft long (1/3 of that is the tail) so your ideal enclosure size should be 6 ft by 3 ft. Basilisks need to climb too, so the enclosure should be about as tall as it is long. For a green basilisk, that would ideally be 6 ft high as well, but not everyone has that kind of room so a 4x2x4 ft enclosure will be suitable for an adult.

One more thing: I don’t recommend using an enclosure made with glass, like a fish tank, because both basilisks and water dragons are known for not being able to see the glass. In their mad dash to escape something entering the tank, they bump their jaw repeatedly against the glass and this can cause serious injury to the animal. Basilisks also rub their noses on the glass a lot, so glass tanks and terrariums are not recommended. Try making your own enclosure or using a discarded rabbit hutch.

05/01/10  11:53pm

Sorpionlova
View Profile

Message To: Sinosauropterix   In reference to Message Id: 2144811

Cage question

oh ok. thanx

05/03/10  12:56pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area