Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

Randy Clark   Erichaycraft   Randy Clark   Erichaycraft   Randy Clark   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark   Rexxaroo   Randy Clark  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Randy Clark
View Profile

Weird protrusions on my basilisk’s side

I got a female adult brown basilisk,wild caught of course,and she has some weird lumps on her sides. They almost seem to be inbetween her ribs,her stomach is a little swollen but she uses the bathroom regularly so I don’t think she has impaction.I will be taking my savannah monitors to the vet to be tested for internal parasites since they are wild caught so I will be bringing her as well.Just wondering if anybody has encountered anything like this before,I don’t have any pics of it but can tomorrow if you would like to see them.

07/07/09  04:07pm

Erichaycraft
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2035640

Post a pic. Is this something that has recently occurred or was it this way from the point you took the animal home?

07/07/09  05:15pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Erichaycraft   In reference to Message Id: 2035694

I’ll have a pic tomorrow,this just recently occured in the last 3 days or so.Shw was underweight when I got her as most wild caught are due to internal parasites but these lumps are weird they are not soft to the touch.

07/07/09  07:31pm

Erichaycraft
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2035769

I have seen in some lizards parasites that rise up through the dermal layer. That aside it could be fungal or bacterial as well. A photo will help. Is is more than one spot?

07/07/09  08:26pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Erichaycraft   In reference to Message Id: 2035796

I will definitely have a photo up tomorrow,the lumps are up and down both sides almost like they are in between the ribs

07/07/09  09:05pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2035821

Alright sorry it took so long to these pics up

07/08/09  11:05pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2036482

are you sure its a male? it may be egg bound or something...Do they feel like marbles?

Rexx

07/10/09  09:12pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2037441

No its a female but they don’t feel like eggs,kind of a more slender shape than say bearded dragon eggs but I’ve never seen a Basilisk egg so not really sure.She was with a male for a while but seperated now.She acts normal,very flighty,eats varociously both veggies and insects,uses the bathroom without problem.I am selling a few of my tarantulas and a few other things to pay for her vet visit which will be next week hopefully.

07/10/09  10:16pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2037493

ahh i see. well they may be eggs then! i would set up a lay box and make her comfy and hope for the best :D

Rexx

07/12/09  02:10pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2038083

The lumps are starting to show on the bottom of her belly now and they feel like eggs.Thanks for the help Rexx I am setting her up a lay box in the morning.

07/12/09  04:20pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2038131

No problem, and good luck with her. She’s a great looking lizard :P

Rexx

07/12/09  05:36pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2038157

Well you were right Rexx,I walked in to three eggs this morning and she still has some to go.I am getting anothewr incubator today as mine is already full with bearded dragon eggs and rat snake eggs. I’m a little worried about her as she is nowhere near healthy enough to be breeding yet but it happens a lot with wild caught so hopefully she will be alright.Wish me luck

07/17/09  01:39pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2040869

Ahh! Congrats on the eggs Randy!! I figured with her being wild caught and you said she was housed with a male before correct me if im wrong, but i figured she was gravid. And your probably right, im sure she isnt healthy enough to be breeding, but like you said it does happen alot with WC animals. As long as your using some parazap or something and getting rid of the parasites she should be ok. :D thats so awesome good luck with them and good luck to her as well!! Im glad she layed for you and sounds like your gonna have a whole bunch of babies soon :P

Rexx

07/17/09  05:43pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2040987

I hope so she had three layed when i got there today and wasn’t using the lay box so i put her in a tank full of moistened soil so hopefully she will have them buried in the morning,i don’t know if the first three will make it but i’ll find out.I’ll post some pics as soon as she finishes her business.

07/17/09  08:44pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2041072

they are sometimes tempermental about where they lay. thats a good idea to put her in the tank with the soil. I had a lizards who wouldnt use a laybox and she layed them in her water dish. i didnt make it home in time to save them :( i saved one tho and got a lil baby skink <3 good luck and i would love to see pics :D

Rexx

07/18/09  11:34am

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2041268

Well I don’t think the eggs are gonna make it.I have 5 total 2 were layed in the water bowl so they are growing mold pretty quick which of course is gonna suffocate them and 1 is a little dimpled and the other 2 have changed to a light brown color.I have them incubating at 84 and moisture level seems good its right at the perlite line in the container.I think i didn’t get to them in time and the last two which are the one turning brown got kicked by my Basi when i went to get them out,I was hoping the air sack hadn’t risen to the top of the egg yet but it probably did.

07/20/09  10:19pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2042478

oh thats too bad :( i would still incubate anyways in case the embryos are still alive best of luck to you Randy

Rexx

07/20/09  10:44pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2042491

Thanks I’m gonna keep incubating with my fingers crossed atleast for the two,preciate all the help Rexx.

07/21/09  12:38am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2042528

no prob thats what im here for :D

Rexx

07/21/09  08:40am

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2042601

Got another question for ya Rexx,is there a way to remove the mold from the eggs she laid in the water bowl.The eggs still looks good but they have mold growing really quickly,and its not the type that covers the egg its like little trees almost

07/25/09  11:55am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2045053

ok im not sure i havent tried removing it but heres an idea for you: take the eggs and a toothpick or skewer or something and try to GENTLY without jarring the egg, scrape it off and place the egg in the vermiculit or perilite whatever your using. i wouldnt (IMO) put the eggs with mold with the good eggs in case the mold spreads. hope it works for ya

Rexx

07/25/09  04:19pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2045205

Alright I used a q-tip and got it off without moving the eggs to much,I’m sure it’ll come back but if I have to I’ll clean them again if that’s what it takes. She dropped 3 more the other day 2 were no good once I found them but one was in the water bowl but the shell isn’t very white it almost looks like she was kinda low on calcium,which I’m sure she was. But it looks good other than that I have it in a seperate container so maybe it won’t get moldy. Just not havin luck with the eggs on this go round I lost 12 out of 24 ratsnake eggs,and my other incubator went down the other day and they’re not for sure dead yet but I have 5 out of 14 bearded dragon eggs that collapsed.

07/26/09  12:27am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2045421

im so sorry about that :( well what i advise so that she doesnt drop anymore in the water is take out the large dish and spray alot so she still gets her water and you can put a small dish in there so that she isnt tempted to lay there. Sorry about the other eggs man, that really stinks i would have been devastated. The other egg that got dropped in the water if you got to it in time hopefully wont get moldy. i would still keep it seperate in case it does tho if it doesnt than its ok to put with the other ones. Best of Luck Randy :D

Rexx

07/26/09  08:12pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2045829

hey randy, how is everything? id like to see some pics :D hope all is going well :D

Rexx

08/04/09  12:44pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2050765

It’s goin alright she ended up laying like 3 more 2 weeks ago but they were infertile.She’s not looking all to great right now those eggs really took everything out of her but she’s eating a dozen crickets a day and hopefully i can get her to take a pinky or two here soon,they don’t interest her right now.I’ve only got one egg left but its the one i said didn’t look like the shell was fully developed or something cause it is yellow.Everything i’ve read says that means its infertile but if i candle it tyhere are red veins so i dont know,you may be able to answer that for me.I will get some pics of her up here for you in a day or so maybe tonight if she will sit still long enough for me to take them.I have to build a custom enclosure for my savannah monitors and then i am gonna transfer her to the 120 gal they are in and possibly get one or two more basi’s.

08/04/09  04:49pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2050889

alright sounds like youve got everything covered :) well about the yellow eggshell your humidity may not be high enough try raising it a little and see what happens. sorry about the other eggs hopefully you can get some better ones out of her next breeding season. the 120 gallon would be great for her lots of space. I would try earthworms and nightcrawlers. they have alot of calcium and alot of protien and i havent seen a bassie that wont take em haha. hope she gets better. best of luck

Rexx

08/05/09  09:29am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2051316

Hey Randy! Haven’t talked in a bit! How’s Mama and the egg? :D Hope they are doing well i had a clutch hatch a day or two ago of crested geckos and leopard geckos. Unfortunately only 2 of the 12 crested geckos made it after they hatched and 6 of the 10 leopard gecko eggs i had...

Rexx

08/15/09  06:08pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2057751

She’s finally starting to spring back.She definitely has all her energy back,she got out of the cage the other day and all my animals are in a small second house/shed at my moms and she had to chase her all over the room.She is still underweight but putting it back on nicely now that I got her to eat lobster roaches on top of crickets.That sucks to have 10 Cresties not make it but I know the feeling,it sucks,not one of my Basi eggs made it the last one started to leak a little bit yesterday but i still have it in just in case my high hopes pay off,not holding my breath on it though.I will find a male for her and try again after she is back up to par and then some.I’m about to start my savannah monitor’s custom enclosure soon and she will get their 120 gal after i modify it for her,gotta make it elaborate for her she has turned out to be one tough lizard and i’ve gotten kinda partial to her after all this,especially considering just last week i didn’t think she was gonna pull through.Now that she’s got some weight back i’ll be picking up some stuff for internal parasites and having my vet worm her to be safe.I still got two Beardie eggs that are looking great so hopefully they will make it they only have about a month to go,and the one ratsnake egg that I can’t make up my mind on its shell is hard and i can’t cande it now to see if its still good.Good luck with the last two crestyies and the leapardsthats awesome i can’t wait till my fat tails start to lay.

08/15/09  08:37pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Randy Clark   In reference to Message Id: 2057840

wow that is too sad :( Im glad that Mama is doing good :D sounds like she’ll be back to her old self in no time haha. Yea It was a shame about the eggs i was heartbroken it was the day they were suppose to hatch, and only two cam out and then a few days later nothing. i candled them and they didnt move. i know your not suppose to open up and egg but i took one and opened it just to see and the poor thing was premature. The leapords are doing well and so are the cresteds. I just finished my Water Dragons cage we’ve been working forever on it
Whole Thing:

Bottom and Pool area:

Top and Basking area:

And Rexx himself:

Best of Luck Randy :D

Rexx

08/15/09  09:54pm

Randy Clark
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2057882

Awesome cage man,Water Dragons are one of my favorite lizards.I’m actually looking into breeding them in the next couple of months,I will be moving out to 55 acres soon and will have all the room in the world to properly set my animals up as well as room for more :). Ya that sucks with the Crestie’s but i guess it comes with the territory sometimes.If i can get her to ever sit still i’ll get a pic or two of her on here.

08/16/09  10:58am
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area