Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Basilisks Forum

LacrosseKid 87   OmeletS!   LacrosseKid 87   OmeletS!   LacrosseKid 87   OmeletS!  
 Member  Message

LacrosseKid 87
View Profile

Correct Lighting/////HELP

Can someone please post a picture of the proper lighting for my basilisk lizard. It would be very much appreciated.

06/28/09  04:51am

OmeletS!
View Profile

Message To: LacrosseKid 87   In reference to Message Id: 2030183

Im not sure of how to put up pictures on this site but first things first you need UVB I recommend either the tubes (reptisun 10.0) or a mercury vapor bulb which offers both heat and UV in one. (If you get the reptisun then your gonna need a heating bulb) My lighting consists of just a plain house bulb the compact flourescent energy saving ones and a mega-ray mercury vapor bulb. the flourescent keeps it nice and bright while the mega ray supplies heat and very important UVB. keep in mind that reptiles see light much darker then we do so we need to supply them more of it thats the purpose the flourescent serves. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE ONE OF THOSE REPTI GLO COMPACT UVB’S THEY EMIT DANGEROUS AMOUNTS AND CAN MAKE YOUR REPTILE BLIND!!! Mega ray is the most reliable mercury vapor bulb and it also comes with a warranty. so in conclusion you can have as many lights as you want as long as you have the right basking and ambient temps and a spot where your basilisk can absorb the UVB. keeping in mind that extremely strong light can hurt vision in your reptiles. If you have any further questions be sure to ask and I will respond as quickly as possible. But first may I ask what size cage your basilisk is in cause that can determine the heating of the cage.

06/29/09  09:42pm

LacrosseKid 87
View Profile

Message To: OmeletS!   In reference to Message Id: 2031260

I appreciate the help. Hes in a 55 gallon tank but as he gets bigger i will buy the cage that attaches to the top of the tank. Please give me a quick run down of basic necessities that i need for him. BTW hes just a baby. Most importaantly what substrate should i use. Right now i have repti-bark.

06/29/09  10:17pm

OmeletS!
View Profile

Message To: LacrosseKid 87   In reference to Message Id: 2031276

Sorry man I went to west virginia to do some herping with my dad so I was away for a week. first off large water dish I use a cat litter bin but any sufficiently large container will do. for substrate you can use that coco fiber stuff, repti bark or paper towels. I use potting soil as it holds humidity well and he never ingests it as I feed him at the top half of his cage. in order for him to feel comfortable you must give him tons of plants I probably have 20 different fake plants in there and one live dragon plant for him to climb on. Your gonna want a steady perch for a basking area I used a magnatural ledge for the basking site with a long thick branch leading towards it. You should provide numerous angles of climbing I have the live plant for verticle climbing and the stick for slanted climbing. when he gets full grown I suggest 100 gallons plus they are very active so small cages are inhumane. For feeding I feed mainly crickets and the occasional waxworm or mealworm Im gonna raise earthworms soon for him to eat but right now he can handle anything very big as hes a little guy they can also eat veggies but mine wont budge when I offer them to him provide a large variety in food right now I cant cause almost all feeders are too big for him. Hope this helps -Paul

07/07/09  11:13am

LacrosseKid 87
View Profile

Message To: OmeletS!   In reference to Message Id: 2035470

Ok... Right now i have several branches in the tank. A XL corner bowl, I have a Exo terra fogger for my waterfall but it needs a new part, The membrane if you know what im talking about.
I plan on feeding him crickets/MealWorms/and blue berries, for now. and in about 3 years i will buy him the 55 gallon cage topper. and i have repti bark as substrate. Now i just need to go buy him correct lights and then the lizard.

07/08/09  03:53am

OmeletS!
View Profile

Message To: LacrosseKid 87   In reference to Message Id: 2035962

K sounds great Im not sure if they can eat blueberries so you might wanna look that up but other then that it sounds good.

07/08/09  05:00pm

Back to Basilisks Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area